Water B-cam for EX1 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 20th, 2008, 03:18 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Water B-cam for EX1

I am looking to get a small cam and surf housing to use as a b cam for EX1 shore footage. The Sony SR11 is one option but the lack of manual controls and AVCHD format make me wonder if mixing footage with XDCAM will work out on 720/30p timeline in FCP. There are a couple of new Canons coming out in September that shoot AVCHD with Canons 30fps format.

I have a Sony A1u and a dive housing but it gets heavy above the surface and while shooting from wave runners.

Anyone mixing small HDV or AVCHD cams with EX-1 footage who has any feedback I greatly appreciate it.

Dasher
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM   #2
Trustee

for SD/web delivery with a little post work, in Vegas you can mix with decent result not only AVCHD and MXF, but anything you want, I've tried it with HC3, HF10 and even TG1 with proper lighting is usable, in September HF11 should be out, might be a good candidate if you want to go tapeless, but if you don't mind tape, I'd go HC9;
not sure though how's AVCHD on MAC
Buba Kastorski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2008, 01:44 PM   #3
Regular Crew

My Sony A1U met a watery demise this morning on a shoot in Turkey. So now I really need a new compact HD(HDV, AVCHD) camera to shoot b-cam footage from a splash housing. Any info is appreciated.
Charles Dasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 07:37 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Charles sorry to hear you lost the cam on a shoot. We have discussed that I use a SR12 and now with 6 months on the cam I would suggest you check out what Canon is now offering. The SR12 is ok but really lacks a few manual controls that I miss while shooting and yes it is only 1 k.

AVCHD is not a problem on the Mac in FCS. Also I have mixed the SR12 and EX1 on one job with success but the footage was only DVD quality. At full size in HD well not really a good idea. So now the camera sits a lot and I would be happy to improve this option.

What happen to the options to have the local guy in FL build you a housing for the EX1?
Old September 29th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #5
Regular Crew

Canon HV30 in the Ikelight housing...
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 29th, 2008, 06:21 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Ray is there footage that we can see where you cut the HV30 with the EX1? That camera is high on my list.
Old September 30th, 2008, 07:54 AM   #7
Regular Crew

There is footage on Vimeo for underwater work using the HV20 and HV30...

Here's an example.. Red Sea Scuba Diving Project with the HV30 on Vimeo

Not mine but a good example....
Old September 30th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Here's a video with EX1 and HV20 mixed.... you might ask him if there were any issues
with the mix....

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/ex-series...s-extreme.html
Old October 1st, 2008, 02:27 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I have two SR12 cameras that I've been using in underwater housings, and I've been pleased with the footage, though more manual control over gain would be welcome.

It's all going on HQ 24p timelines with my EX1 footage, but being run through an amazing Teranax machine to do the conversion with hardware. I'm going to be selling one of my Sony housings in a few weeks, though I'm keeping both Sonys...
Zachary Fink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:12 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Thank you Ray.
Old October 2nd, 2008, 09:40 AM   #11
Major Player

Does anyone know of a Sony option? I have a Sony housing (SPK-HCB made by Sony) for shallow dives (5m) that I'd like to begin using. It connects to the camera via the half-moon shaped A/V out connector (strange!?) and I've actually had it at 10m in Jamaica and it performed flawlessly, but that was with a cheap, SD, miniDV handycam and I'd like to upgrade.

The specs on which cameras work with it are all outdated because it is a retired product, but it seems that a camera with this connector, up to 4" tall, and up to 6.5" long should work.

I'd like to stay away from minDV - I'm done with tapes! So, either a hard drive or flash-based format. Any suggestions?

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds