Cant download my clips to my MacPro at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 27th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Cant download my clips to my MacPro

After shooting in the field, I downloaded the contents of the SxS card into a portable PC, making sure that I create an individual directory in which I copy the entire BPAV directory of the card. When I open the Sony Clip Browser in the laptop, I can read each clip with no problem. I burned the contents of the BPAV directly in a DL DVD with no problem

But when I am back home and want to download the clips into my MacPro Using either FCP 6 or XDCAM transfer application it JUST CANT READ THE CONTENTS OF THE BPAV DIRECTORY. It recognises that I have many clips it pits in the viewer, but all clips have the mention "No image available". When I want to add the BPAV directry in the XCAM transfer windows, it shows the directory PBAV in light gray font, like it would do when the Mac does not recognise the format of a file.\

CAN SOMEONE HELP !! I have made hours of clips bruned in DL DVD and also transferred in an external hard drive but my MacPro simply does not want to read them !!!
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 27th, 2008, 11:02 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Not enough info at all.

Clip Browser should be 2. XDCAM Transfer 2.7. FCP 6.0.2 or higher.
What version of Quicktime?
What OS?
HOW did you make the backups?
BPAV must me in a PARENT folder.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 07:27 PM   #3
Regular Crew

OK, let me be more explicit.
I checked the version I had of XDCAM Transver, which was 2.1. So I found out that there is the version 2.7 that I downloaded. But I got a new problem : When opening the application it says right at the begining that for running this version I need to install XDCAM EX Codecs which are missing as well as the XDCAM HD422 Codec also missing.

I though the new version of FCP I just bought with Studio 2 would provide these codecs but apparently not. I have absolutely no idea how to download these codecs, I checked the web and could not find the right site to download them. Do you know?

I also discovered that I have in fact the version 6.0.1 of FCP and I understand there is a version 6.0.2 Why Apple sold me last month version 6.0.1 knwoing that it is not the latest version?

What is also strange is that when I use the Sony Clip Browser, here again the latest version, I can access my clips with no problem. But when I use XDCAM Transfer, it simply cant read my clips. I also took the precaution of installing SxS Pro Device driver, as Sony recommends it. But it did not help. resumably I did not need it as long as I do not have a SxS slot reader integrated in the MacPro.
My Mac OS version is 10.4.11
My QuickTime version is 7.5

Is that enought info to give you to help me sorting out the problem?
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:01 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Update FCP to 6.0.2 or higher otherwise you do not have the EX codec.

Apple doesn't update their disks constantly that's why they provide online updates. Actually this is normal with most software which has flooded the channels.

I also remember an odd situation with the 10.4.11 and QuickTime 7.5 I believe that resulted in problems for some.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 08:12 PM   #5
Regular Crew

OK. I managed to to a software update for FCP. I though I needed to choose in the Software update the application I want, but it is all grouped under Pro Applications.
So now I have FCP6.0.2 and you are right, it has the codec and now XDCAM Transfer works/
Francois Dormoy is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds