HD to DV at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old August 28th, 2008, 03:10 PM   #1
Regular Crew

HD to DV

I'm sorry to all to ask this question again. I actually have 2 questions.

The rumor several months ago was Sony was going to introduce software to solve this problem of converting HD to DV. The only thing I have seen has been to purchase special codec. Is there a hardware solution to this problem?

I am using alot of my EX1 footage for web use. In FCP is it better to start with HD or SD if the final output will be flash for the web.

thanks
Jack Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 03:34 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Some of the major players around here could disagree with me, but I always edit in HD. It gives me more flexibility to do digital zooms and color correction. I've also found that the final flash render will be sharper in the end.
Roger Akers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 28th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #3
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Davis View Post

The rumor several months ago was Sony was going to introduce software to solve this problem of converting HD to DV. The only thing I have seen has been to purchase special codec. Is there a hardware solution to this problem?

I am using alot of my EX1 footage for web use. In FCP is it better to start with HD or SD if the final output will be flash for the web.

thanks
Clip Browser V2 concerts to DV

Paul.
Old August 28th, 2008, 09:58 PM   #4
Major Player

shoot / edit in HD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Davis View Post

thanks
We shoot 30p HD with the EX1 for use on the web. Edit in FCP in HD, compress with squeeze into .flv, 480 x 360. Much better picture quality originating in HD vs: DV
see HD example: http://www.KeysTV.com/dynamic
best, Craig
Craig Hollenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2008, 12:28 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Another vote for editing HD and then encoding straight to the web from me. Works like a charm and adds so much flexibility.
Old August 29th, 2008, 02:12 PM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Hollenback View Post
compress with squeeze into .flv, 480 x 360
Mate, try out 512x288 for 16:9 over 480x360 for 4:3.

Let's do it by the numbers:

- 512x288 = 147,456 pixels per frame

- 480x360 = 172,800 pixels per frame

That means you get a bigger apparent image in true HD 16:9 format with less pixels changing per frame than 480x360.

And I got better results per kilobit per second with FlixPro, and I got the same quality in far less time with Episode.

Episode has an option to do a Low Pass filter for Large Downscales, which sorts out the aliasing and some other things.

I've kept up to date with Squeeze, and whilst the best for Sorenson 3 (surprise surprise), I've been dissapointed with its Flash, H.264 and WMV.
Old August 30th, 2008, 09:58 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm new to working with FCP and macs and I've been following this thread with great interest. I'd appreciate it if someone could tell me how, using Flip4mac, which I already have, I can take a 16X9 xdcam timeline and do a 4X3 center cut .wmv, using quicktime conversion? I thought there was an option in there somewhere to do the center cut, but I can't seem to find it ....

Thanks in advance ...

John
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:20 AM   #8
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godwin View Post
I thought there was an option in there somewhere to do the center cut, but I can't seem to find it ....
I can't find it in Plain Old Telestream (the WMV export function within QuickTime Player) either. It's a function of Squeeze, Compressor and Episode, however.

FWIW, I checked with my QuickTime Player Flash Export option, which DOES include Crop.

I think it's a limitation of the Telestream plugin rather than Mac or QuickTime per se. I guess they want you to upgrade to Episode if you're doing this kind of thing for a living.
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:41 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to be able to use the tools I already have, because the learning curve is steep enough, and I do hope to continue doing this for a living. (Like the last 30 odd years ... just with different tools.)

Best,
John
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 10:53 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Clip Browser V2 concerts to DV

Paul.
And it seems to do it well to! I have not made any extensive tests but the exports I have made have been quick and have looked good.

What impressed me most was that CB2 actually managed to transcode 720p50 to PAL interlaced, keeping the 50 frames per second, i e keeping the smoothness going from 50P to 50i.
Ola Christoffersson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:32 AM   #11
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Godwin View Post
(Like the last 30 odd years ... just with different tools.)
Erm, methinks I may have phrased my comment in such a way that missed my point and caused offence - my bad.

But Telestream's products are very carefully striated. As they own Episode, it would make sense for them to hide the 'power user' stuff (like cutting a 4:3 hole in 16:9 HD material, whilst doing a low pass filter in downscaling to SD) in their products aimed at us.

TeleStream's plug-in starts out at playing WMV invisibly within QT (which it does very well). When you upgrade to the full-on HD version, it seems to expect you to be using it within Compressor or Episode. The controls are simply NOT THERE in QuickTime Player's 'Options' menu.

You may wish to open up Compressor again. It's not a nice application to get to know, and I can't speak too highly of the assistance I got from the Ripple Training product. It's the same plug-in as in QT Player, but it has Compressor's extra tools around it - which DOES do cropping.
Old August 30th, 2008, 11:42 AM   #12
Regular Crew

Actually, no offense taken at all. And that additional info may help me - I'll try to get something cooking with compressor.

Thanks,
John
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds