V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:54 AM   #1
Major Player

V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3

I thought that I should share a bit of very interesting info with all of you.

Bebob will be launching a new product for EX3 at IBC - Coco EX3- it's not yet on the site but I've been told that it should be put up on 11th September. I had the privilige to get to know as I had initially bought the Coco-EX and queried whether they are willing to do something better for the EX3.

In fact this new accessory will enable us to use the proper V-lock batteries and I was told
that it has 2 D-taps plus 4 Hirose. According to my source, they "...went for an Hirsoe for the camera to give the possibility to the customers to exchange the cable easily, should it be damaged."

This is not an advertisement (and I do not work or receive any commissions from Bebob) even though it might read as one. However I think that this accessory is fantastic. One V-lock battery of about 140 WHr should give enough power for both camera and an onboard 20 watt light. The added weight of the battery would hopefully counterbalance better the camera.
Attached Thumbnails
V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3-_mg_8859.jpg   V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3-_mg_8864.jpg  

V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3-_mg_8888.jpg   V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3-_mg_8898.jpg  

V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3-_mg_8913.jpg  
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 07:58 AM   #2
Major Player

Looks OK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
In fact this new accessory will enable us to use the proper V-lock batteries and I was told that it has 2 D-taps plus 4 Hirose. According to my source, they "...went for an Hirsoe for the camera to give the possibility to the customers to exchange the cable easily, should it be damaged."

This is not an advertisement (and I do not work or receive any commissions from Bebob) even though it might read as one. However I think that this accessory is fantastic. One V-lock battery of about 140 WHr should give enough power for both camera and an onboard 20 watt light. The added weight of the battery would hopefully counterbalance better the camera.
My only concern would be that the centre of gravity looks like it is creeping higher, which makes the job of a fluid head more difficult and impacts on its load-bearing capacity. In my experience this also affects one's ability to make/balance smooth movements too as the leverage/turning effect is increased. Also, while they have sought to add another cold (?) shoe in place of the one the device covers, it doesn't seem to offer enough clearance to be able to mount anything useful there aside from, say, a wireless mic receiver. Maybe. Something like the Protech ST-7 makes more sense to me ( http://www.protechweb.jp/products/st7/st7/index.html ).

http://www.protechweb.jp/products/st...age_st7_01.jpg

I like the fact that we may start to see these devices now. I would prefer to keep my Sony batteries as spares/backup and use my IDX system for the camera itself. Let's hope we will soon see alternative arrangements from other manufacturers - or, ideally, a simple adapter and break-out box/panel which fits the socket and runs to the battery on a separate plate (for those of us who have rail systems which accommodate V lock batteries already).

Last edited by Justin Benn; September 2nd, 2008 at 08:06 AM. Reason: more info.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 08:22 AM   #3
Major Player

I contacted bebob after building my mount - I really loathe the thought of going into manufacturing! They already had this product underway and I've been awaiting it's release.

This part is actually the Coco-EX3-V - and yes, there will be an Anton-Bauer version available as well. Listprice is 295,00 € - and they are saying the US streetprice will be around $450 US.

This adapter is displayed with the Omega V140C battery - cool product that I've not seen before - don't have to pack chargers - very nice!

Anyway, it looks pretty nice - and will help with balance. A shoulder-mount will really complete that task, though.
Old September 2nd, 2008, 04:09 PM   #4
Major Player

Great info...

I've written to BeBob because I definitely want to include this in an upcoming article... and I really want professional batteries for my EX3

Thanks

Ned
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:27 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
A shoulder-mount will really complete that task, though.
Danny Natovich's DVRIG Pro HD. I just took delivery of mine yesterday and it is great!
So easy to use and lots of places to mount accessories. It offers a back plate (behind the shoulder) where one can mount a V-Lok adaptor such as the 12 volt regulated Hawk-Woods unit. It is very important that a regulated 12 volts come out of any adaptor for the EX3.

Lots of photos of the HD rig on DVTEC's website

It's an exciting time for the EX3.
Cheers
David
Old September 2nd, 2008, 05:33 PM   #6
Trustee

It looks great but I do get the feeling that adding all this onto the Ex-3 adds up to something that is along the lines of a F355 XDcam but without the very costly SXS cards!
Old September 2nd, 2008, 06:36 PM   #7
Major Player

Personally, I'd like a mount that would fold for storage or extend for use - both for shoulder and for tripod - with better balance. Also, I'd like to utilized multiple mounting points in order to fix the mounting plate more securely. I think I'm going to build something like this...

(I'm still shopping for the right hinge design - the ones I drew are great - selectible in 10 degree increments and very strong. However, they are pretty pricey. Also, I'll add a pad to the part of the mount that meets your upper chest.)
Attached Thumbnails
V-lock Battery adaptor for EX3-shoulder-hinge-mount.jpg  

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds