DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   need HDCam conversion - Urgent (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/129197-need-hdcam-conversion-urgent.html)

Sebastien Thomas September 2nd, 2008 07:01 AM

need HDCam conversion - Urgent

Hi,

I openned a thread at looking for a HDcam recorder in Paris, France - The Digital Video Information Network about my need of sending my movie to a HDCam tape.
I just ask here too as people here may know me better and the short was made with an EX1 ;)

The goal is to have my movie from Final Cut Pro put on a HDCam tape. What is the best solution, knowing the materials comes from an EX1 ?

If someone can help me quick, preferably in Paris, France...
Many thanks.

Sebastien Thomas September 2nd, 2008 10:02 AM

OK !
I now have the HDcam deck.
Anyone have any good advice on how to encode before ingest, or how will I be able to go out from the mac into the HDcam deck ?

Thanks.

Jac Chesson September 2nd, 2008 10:58 AM

FCP to HDCAM

Hi Sebastien,

I too have occasion to go from FCP to HDCAM w/ EX1 footage. Here's what I do:

I make an uncompressed Quicktime movie of my entire sequence w/ bars, slate and my content onto a GRaid FW800 drive. The file size will be huge, about 11GB/minute of footage.

I make an appointment at a local post production house that has an HDCAM deck. The editor ingests the QT movie into his Mac AVID system and does a Digital Cut. DONE!
The last time I did this, I had a six minute sequence. I was charged a half hour of editing and HDCAM tape.

If you already have an HDCAM deck, you would need to purchase one of those outboard boxes by BlackMagic Design and others that offer HDSDI out. I'm not sure about the tri-level sync issue, that's why I just leave it to the people who do this every day.

Let us know how it turned out.

Jac

Sebastien Thomas September 2nd, 2008 01:02 PM

I don't have a "black magic" like card. I have my old G5 with PCI X, and don't want to purchase a card for it, as I may change soon for a PCI-e computer...
BUT
what if I can get one ?
my G5 is not fast enough for playing the movie real time. Does this have any matter when transmitting to the HDCam deck ? does it have to play the movie realtime or is there any kind of synchro ?

Many thanks for your experience anyway.

George Strother September 3rd, 2008 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sebastien Thomas (Post 928286)
I don't have a "black magic" like card. I have my old G5 with PCI X, and don't want to purchase a card for it, as I may change soon for a PCI-e computer...
BUT
what if I can get one ?
my G5 is not fast enough for playing the movie real time. Does this have any matter when transmitting to the HDCam deck ? does it have to play the movie realtime or is there any kind of synchro ?

Many thanks for your experience anyway.

The video will have to play in real time to record to HDCam. An uncompressed HD video will play real time but will require a fast RAID, G5 2.0 dual processor or faster and an HDSDI or Component output card.

If you do not have this equipment, the suggestion to render an uncompressed file onto a firewire drive and take it to a post house is probably the best solution for you.

Sebastien Thomas September 3rd, 2008 10:07 AM

Yes, I'll try to do the later. 20mins of uncompress... I hope it will be ok on a 1To hard drive... else I'll have another problem :)

I hope I'll find someone to do this cheap.
Thanks.

Frédéric Attal September 3rd, 2008 12:48 PM

speed test with decklink HD Studio

1 Attachment(s)
Hi ,

this is a Blackmagic speed test done on a Macpro 2,8ghz 8 cores - mac os 10.5.4
1 To Seagate esata 32mo cache buffer model ST31000340SV (the disk is free of any file)
8go ram
Decklink HD Studio
it seem to be just to get full hd stream to record on a HDcam deck
I have a Firmtek esata tower and pcie card I have not tested yet to be able to get 220mo/sec .

Sebastien , you can email to me and we could have a talk as my french is far better !

Sebastien Thomas September 5th, 2008 03:07 AM

Many thanks to all that replied.
I finaly found someone with the full hardware to do this.

The movie will be online late October, after the fest.
Thanks again.