EX3 and 35 mm still telephoto lenses - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2008, 01:58 PM   #16
Regular Crew

Is Sony going to release an Alpha adaptor? To allow their Zeiss stills lenses on the EX3 directly?
Ben Ruffell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Davies View Post
It will be interesting if the nanoflash makes this a serious professional wildlife camera.
only if EX3 gives 720 60p over HDSDI ?

alkim.
Alkim Un is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 07:16 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
It will be interesting if the nanoflash makes this a serious professional wildlife camera.
I wonder how a flying bird will look with 50Mbs/100Mbs ?
But those data rates are not supposed to cure wobble.
I expect to see some wobble when using very long lens (600mm) on less than perfect conditions, and while tightly tracking an animal/bird (not a constant speed pan).
Sassi
Sassi Haham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:28 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassi Haham View Post
I wonder how a flying bird will look with 50Mbs/100Mbs ?
But those data rates are not supposed to cure wobble.
I expect to see some wobble when using very long lens (600mm) on less than perfect conditions, and while tightly tracking an animal/bird (not a constant speed pan).
Sassi
Hi Sassi,

Please email me through my website so I can get back to you - yesh li diboor eitcha...(-:

Thanks,

Ofer
Ofer Levy Nature Photographer
Ofer Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 04:20 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Sassi, are you refering to wobble from compression artifacts or physical wobble from tripod panning?
Andrew Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 05:35 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Quote:
Sassi, are you referring to wobble from compression artifacts or physical wobble from tripod panning?
Sorry for not being clear. I am referring to one of the rolling shutter effects.
I think that even with higher data rates that the XDR will introduce,
Some of the pans will show CMOS wobble.
Sassi
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:52 AM   #22
Regular Crew

So, it would appear this rolling shutter problem is a deal breaker for the EX3 as far as fast moving wildlife is concerned?

Last edited by Andrew Davies; September 8th, 2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 06:57 AM   #23
Inner Circle

Well I thought there was some sort of issue when I tried an EX1, but many other people have said that it's nonsense. To repeat what I saw, when filming flying birds the background had a horrible judder to it. I then tried some slow pans as a test and saw the same sort of juddery motion, even in interlaced. And this wouldn't be a codec issue as you could see it in the viewfinder, ie before compression. But after a lot of debate I did start to wonder if I was mad!
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:29 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
So, it would appear this rolling shutter problem is a deal breaker for the EX3 as far as fast moving wildlife is concerned?
I hope this is not the case.
What I would like to see is a direct comparison of object tracking footage between
100Mbs CMOS (EX3) against 100Mbs CCD (xlh1), when the XDR/NANO will be available.
Steve
Read this CMOS Rolling Shutter

Last edited by Sassi Haham; September 8th, 2008 at 10:45 AM.
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:54 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Thanks Sassi, yes I read that ages ago, and I tended to think that was the reason I had motion problem when I tested the EX1, but other definitely have different ideas! I really don't know. One thing I still believe is that there is a reason why the EX cameras are so incredibly cheap compared to their spec, and the RED too. There has to be a reason why you're getting a full raster 1920x1080 camera with 720 built in, and a lens for £6000, while you're paying £25,000 for a Sony 790 that's 1440x1080, only 25P/50i, and no lens.
Steve
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:06 AM   #26
Regular Crew

Hi Steve

What is your preferred camera for wildlife. I think you've worked on Iolo's series?

Thanks

Andy
Old September 8th, 2008, 09:34 AM   #27
Inner Circle

Well it WAS Super 16, but that seems to be a thing of the past now!
Varicam is the standard really, more recently HDX900 and the HPX2100 and now I suppose the new 2700. Thing is, for wildlife you have to have slomo really, you just miss it so much if you're after a high quality look.
At the moment I've got a Sony F355 just for personal use really, and maybe getting a PDW700 as it has good chips plus will soon have 720/50P so ticks a lot of boxes, plus I do like the disc system.
Steve
Old September 8th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #28
Inner Circle

Out of curiosity, when you are talking about wobble, do you find that occurs more pronounced at higher shutter speeds ?

My observation from use of a 35mm adapter (with the lowly HV20) is that the "jello" wobble effect seems to increase with shutter speeds. The vibrating adapter I used was introducing the effect at 1/48, and would increase as I took it to 1/60 and to 1/120 and higher.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds