EX1 Expanded Focus out to Component? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 7th, 2008, 08:01 PM   #1
Trustee

EX1 Expanded Focus out to Component?

I use a 10" external LCD monitor (made by ManhattanLCD.com), and I could use focus assist sometimes for critical focus.

Is there a way to have Expanded Focus (zoomed in center of screen) replicated on EX1's Component out, the same way it shows on its LCD screen?
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 08:22 PM   #2
Major Player

Purely on a theoretical basis, I'd say not. You can select expanded focus while shooting and that doesn't alter the recorded image, so I wouldn't expect it to affect any other output.
Serena Steuart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 09:42 PM   #3
Major Player

I can verify, It does not work... I tried it when I first got my steadicam Pilot and tried with the external monitor and nothing... bummer!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:06 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Yes, this has been my major beef. The signal sent to the component/composite outputs is before the video overlay that feeds the LCD. I'd prefer an programmable option that would send whatever you see on the LCD to the component/composite outputs with all overlay information, including zebra stripes and peaking information. Sure, that would require the overlay to be done before downsampling, and this would make it all the more valuable.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
I use a 10" external LCD monitor (made by ManhattanLCD.com), and I could use focus assist sometimes for critical focus.
Hey, I just pre-ordered their external 10.9" monitor on impulse
Manhattan LCD

Are you using the Toshiba 10.9" at 1366*768 ? How does it look compared to the composite out?
Old September 7th, 2008, 11:35 PM   #6
Major Player

Many video LCDs have pixel for pixel, or some form of zoom built in. Not as convenient, but does the job.
David C. Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2008, 08:15 AM   #7
Trustee

Gints: Yes, Toshiba 10.9"

Never tried Composite - didn't see the point.

Monitor has bluish tint, which I almost eliminated by switching to "warm" setting and playing with brightness and contrast to (more or less) match the camera's own LCD.

Overall, I'm happy with the monitor. Could use a wider angle of view though.
Old September 8th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Thanks for the color balance info, Alex. That warm setting will help as pretty much every Sony LCD I've owned in the past was overly blue and left me thinking that I don't have proper white balance unless it is a little blue. I'm expecting that same monitor in the manhattanlcd HD monitor.

I emailed the manhattanlcd guy about the video zoom, and he said his boards don't do it. It's probably needed less with a nearly full rez HD monitor, but given a longer viewing distance, I'd like to see it. We should be asking Sony to provide this for us.
Old September 21st, 2008, 08:26 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Anyone using the Manhattan LCD?

https://www.manhattanlcd.com/Product...oductCode=7001

I wonder how it is doing compared with the Carrion b (difficult to source, anyway)...
Old September 21st, 2008, 09:52 AM   #10
Trustee

Piotr, this is what I have.

Can't compare since I don't own Carrion, sorry.

In studio environment, ManhattanLCD is very good and worth the price, IMHO.

After all, there are no alternatives I know of with HD resolution in this size/price range.
Old September 21st, 2008, 01:13 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Thanks, Alex. May you elaborate why you stressed the "studio environment" where the Manhattan LCD performs well?

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; September 21st, 2008 at 03:07 PM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2008, 02:24 PM   #12
Trustee

I didn't try it outdoors, but most likely it won't be very useful in bright light.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds