EX1 random questions and input needed at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #1
Regular Crew

EX1 random questions and input needed

Hi, I have a number of random EX1 questions. Any input is appreciated.

Quick overview. I bought my EX1 in late June. I've only shot one project, and did so before learning all the features
of the camera and before watching the Vortex video, so I shot in Full Auto mode at the time. On my next shoot I'd like to take more control
of the camera and just had some questions;

1) What is the tall, deep body gap that sits in front of the SxS slots? (see attached photo) Does this serve a purpose other than being a hide-out for dust? Will dust in there become a problem for any camera function? Is using compressed air cans to blow this area out a bad idea?

2) The shotgun mic holder seems very loose and doesn't hold the Sennheiser I have very well. Even with the holder screwed
down tightly, the mic is floppy and can easily bang against the hard plastic of the holder. Does anyone else find this? Are there any
particular fixes to this, like adding some padding?

3) I bought a mini wind jammer made for the EX1 mic from B&H. (see attached photo) Anyone else tried this or something similar? I also noticed in the audio menu of the EX1 that there is a "wind filter" option to turn on and off. How does this affect the audio, does it work, or is it a gimmick feature and best left turned off?

4) Watching the Vortex DVD there was something shown for setting up a timecode preference. For the life of me I can't figure out how to switch to the setting shown. It's the setting "DUR" which is duration and displays the length of each clip being recorded as opposed to a standard running timecode counter or a clock view. I know the setting is under "timecode" in the TC/UB SET menu, but I never get the camera to display the "DUR" marker. What am I missing?

5) My last question involves setting up Picture Profiles. I would like to set up several for different shooting conditions, ie; bright outdoors, dark outdoors, interior shootings, etc. Going through the PP menu settings there is a tech heavy amount of specs to choose from. Are there any online resources that break down each setting and explain them in basics ways as to how they will affect your image?

Thanks in advance for ANY input,
Chad
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 random questions and input needed-body-gap.jpg   EX1 random questions and input needed-mic-jammer.jpg  

Chad Hucal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 02:53 PM   #2
Inner Circle

The "bumps" in the rubber mic holder are actually hollow and very soft. On my own camera a Lightwave mic mount sits in there, and the Lightwave mic mount holds onto the mic.

The mic mount is very fragile. It could be the thin strips of plastic connecting the screws to the mount itself have already fractured, thus the flexibility of the mount.

I beefed mine up with fiber-reinforced epoxy. The spaces between the strips and other voids were carefully filled in after the interior surfaces were roughened with a tiny Dremel bit.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 random questions and input needed-mic_mount_1.jpg   EX1 random questions and input needed-mic_mount_2.jpg  

Last edited by Dean Sensui; September 12th, 2008 at 02:56 PM. Reason: additional info.
Dean Sensui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:07 PM   #3
Inner Circle

Here's a shot of the Lightwave mic mount. It's actually the one for the Canon XL1 but the cylindrical base of the mount just happens to fit the mic clamp of the EX1.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 random questions and input needed-mic_mount_3.jpg  
Old September 12th, 2008, 03:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

I honestly don't know what they expect you to use the built in mic mount for. I could probably fit two of my Azdens in there at once.
Jon Sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #5
Major Player

I used the built in wind filter and have to say it was pretty amazing on how well it actually works... I leave it on at all times... It is just a filter not an eliminator just to be clear but you will notice a huge difference between off and on. I have used some compressed air to blow some dust out of that area several times with no drawbacks that I can see... It's purpose is to allow heat to leave the camera...as far as I know.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #6
Tourist

Mic Mount

This mount I made up works for me.
Attached Thumbnails
EX1 random questions and input needed-mount.jpg  
Ray MacLellan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 01:56 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chad Hucal View Post
1) What is the tall, deep body gap that sits in front of the SxS slots? (see attached photo) Does this serve a purpose other than being a hide-out for dust? Will dust in there become a problem for any camera function? Is using compressed air cans to blow this area out a bad idea?
Unless I'm mistaken, it's for cooling purposes. It runs through to the other side of the body. I have no idea about compressed air, but since its purpose is to dissipate heat through air circulation, I'd venture saying a puff or two will do it no harm. Just make sure the air can is upright when blowing otherwise very cold liquid air will come out instead and THAT can't be good for the camera.
Nick Csakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2008, 08:30 PM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Csakany View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, it's for cooling purposes. It runs through to the other side of the body. I have no idea about compressed air, but since its purpose is to dissipate heat through air circulation, I'd venture saying a puff or two will do it no harm. Just make sure the air can is upright when blowing otherwise very cold liquid air will come out instead and THAT can't be good for the camera.
Yes and it doubles as a speaker too i believe.
Bob Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 07:48 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Jackson View Post
Yes and it doubles as a speaker too i believe.
No, the speaker is on the front side of the rear handle post. Although I've seen similar-looking bass-reflex speaker ports.
Nick Csakany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2008, 12:09 PM   #10
Inner Circle

That slot is for upgrades and accessories -- you slide your credit card through it and the payment goes directly to Sony's bank account in Switzerland.
Old September 17th, 2008, 05:38 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Ray and Dean,

I have a good shock mount myself so I'll try to rig something up along the lines of your custom set ups. Thanks.
Chad Hucal is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds