Lexar SSD 8gb at Dell E&A at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 14th, 2008, 10:01 AM   #1
Major Player

Lexar SSD 8gb at Dell E&A

Here is a great deal guys through the 18th. I just orderd 6 Lexar SSD 8gb cards,
the ones that work in SP mode, for $37 each at Dell. Free shipping, had to pay tax though.
Good through the 18th. I think you can stack coupons, even though I had none.
These work for me since I am shooting HDV on my other cams.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:25 AM   #2
Trustee

Has there been any intense testing on these Lexar SDD cards using SP mode?

Long record times, and quick multiple record start and stop?

Also, A-DATA has expresscards known as EFD (Expresscard Flash Drive).
I belive they are based on USB 2.0. I'm going to try one today.

I'm more interested in shooting HQ.

Update:
Bought the 16GB A-DATA Expresscard Flash Drive. The EX1 locked up during drive format at 79%.
I tried several times. I even tried to first format on the PC - same error.
So the current A-DATA Flash Drives are out

Last edited by Steven Thomas; September 14th, 2008 at 03:05 PM.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:27 AM   #3
Major Player

i believe so, it is mentioned in the firmware thread and the cards thread below.
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #4
Major Player

I've been using Lexar SSd 8gb for SP recording, although I've lost nothing so far, the old "restore" pops up now and again, especially with repeated stop and start, this is random, and does not appear to depend on how full the card is, sometimes it reports no errors, and records perfectly, it always seems to me to happen when you stop recording, and the cache is writing as well as the metadata - something like that.

It is of course normal, as this happens with the SXS cards on occasion, so in a way it's expected. This is still a cheap way to do SP, as I've recorded complete cards full without error, it never seems to just crash during record unlike for example the slower Transcend 8gb cards.

I'm awaiting a Kensington and AFT adapter, as well as lexar and Patriot SDHC cards to test,
although the Patriot is way too slow I believe.

I'm running an EX1 by the way

Paul
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #5
Trustee

I would definately not call this normal.

I've been using my EX1 since November 2007 almost every day and have only seen this when editing the SxS card. I have never seen it when recording to the SxS, but I saw it after I deleted files on the disk.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 14th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #6
Major Player

Card "restoration" is a known issue as outlined in the manual of the EX1, it does happen, and is therefore an expected occurance whether rare or otherwise - this would indicate that using any other card/adapter will on occasion produce these errors to a greater or lesser degree - lost or corrupt data is obviously not good, but the odd "restore" is within the realms of "normality"

Paul
Old September 14th, 2008, 02:34 PM   #7
Trustee

It's just a friendly utility Sony put a label on to recover errors that should not happen.
It's a result of a design flaw or shortcoming of living on the edge of a device/s spec.

Again, I've never seen or heard of this error occuring during recording. If it were to have these errors recording, I would of sold or for that matter never bought the camera in the first place.

Just imagine if your harddrive constantly did this. Far from normal.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds