HDSDI OUT is 420 - Page 8 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 11:14 PM   #106
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Alex, I don't think the (nano)Flash (XDR)'s 50 or 100Mbps compression will "spoil", or negate, the 4:2:2 advantages over 4:2:0 - the difference vs fully uncompressed should only influence motion-related phenomena. OK, perhaps some more tendency for macroblocking than in the uncompressed - but edge definition, I expect to be equally good.
What I don't understand is how nanoFlash (or other) will be able to feed a compact flash card (or even 4 of them at the same time) with a 100mbps data rate... If it would have been so simple, why would Sony use SxS ?
I think there is some kind of mistery here...
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM   #107
Major Player

Who knows what Sony's reasons really are?

My opinion? Fast enough CF technology wasn't ready when the EX was being planned for. Sony wanted a card format that would work with mobile devices drectly at max speed. There is a progression from PCMCIA/Cardbus to ExpressCard as well.

The interface is more than just a "memory card", making additional options possible (PHU-60K, maybe even eSATA later on). And I also believe Sony wanted a "Professional" solution for which they could control the media quality (although by using the USB interface for the PHU-60K that seems to be out the window).

Anyway just my 2c.

George/

Last edited by George Kroonder; September 24th, 2008 at 01:33 PM.
George Kroonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 12:48 AM   #108
Inner Circle

SxS has other advantages. SxS is very fast so it has plenty of head room for future development. It is very difficult to corrupt the file structure on an SxS card. Pull one out of the camera mid-shot or remove the power from the camera mid shot and the most you will loose is the last 4 seconds of the shot.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds