getting much sharper SD results from your HD footage - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old September 23rd, 2008, 07:20 PM   #16
Major Player

I have an AJA Kona card, I output from FCP to a Sony CRT XBR 34" HD monitor. It looks GREAT! It's the only way I've been able to get it to look great on a real TV! I've also made DVDs using this method and played them on other monitors. Again, it looks nice and clean, no exagerated jagged edges to everything.

Give it a try with a short clip or two!
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #17
Regular Crew

From FCP I just export to ProRes and drag that file into compressor. Drag one of the standard Dvd settings onto it and you get beautiful progressive anamorphic video that many people think is HD. Played on a progressive scan player hooked up the right way its just amazing.
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:46 PM   #18
Major Player

Nathan, I've never exported as ProRes. What file format is it....mov?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:53 PM   #19
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
Nathan, I've never exported as ProRes. What file format is it....mov?
Yeah, they come out as .mov files. Its essentially an Quicktime codec but the quality is fantastic (even if you don't use the HQ setting) just watch out for the file sizes, they are huge! something like 60gigs an hour at the non-HQ setting
Old September 24th, 2008, 06:55 PM   #20
Regular Crew

So many people have flat panels now I've just started sending out nothing but anamorphic Dvd's. I put a little explanation in there with the Dvd in case someone's Dvd player isn't set right...
Old September 25th, 2008, 12:18 PM   #21
Regular Crew

HD tO SD with animation

Most of the times coming from HD (XDCAM 25P) to SD (DV) , taking all the files In FCP from the HD Timeline to the SD one, I have to resize most of the animation, graphic layers (adobe), etc.... How do U manage that ?
Sometimes, in fact I'am doing two times a part of the job in HD to deliver DVD and in SD to deliver DVCAM tape.

Bruno
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:30 AM   #22
Regular Crew

I do what several people have adviced: Edit in HD - create a DV sequence with codec ProRes 422 (HQ) - drag the HD sequence to the DV sequence - export to a QuickTime movie (not self-contained) with item settings - transcode with Compressor with Best DVD-setting. For the first time I am content with the result.

However, a small amount of sharpening is still benificial. Right now I am testing the sharpening filter in Compressor: 2,5 ; 5 ; 7,5 ; 10. More than 10 is already ruled out.

Result is almost as HD, at least in on my 1280x720 plasma screen on normal watching distance.
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #23
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruno Demeocq View Post
Most of the times coming from HD (XDCAM 25P) to SD (DV) , taking all the files In FCP from the HD Timeline to the SD one, I have to resize most of the animation, graphic layers (adobe), etc.... How do U manage that ?
Sometimes, in fact I'am doing two times a part of the job in HD to deliver DVD and in SD to deliver DVCAM tape.

Bruno
Hi Bruno,
Huge mistake. You need to just drag the sequence from the browser into the SD timeline. Don't copy and paste the clips etc.
Old October 1st, 2008, 06:55 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Thanks !

It's may save me a few hours of work on my coming project !
Old October 1st, 2008, 09:42 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sverker Hahn View Post
However, a small amount of sharpening is still benificial. Right now I am testing the sharpening filter in Compressor: 2,5 ; 5 ; 7,5 ; 10. More than 10 is already ruled out.
I am going for the sharpening filter at 5 %.

Are you others using this filter?
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:14 PM   #26
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Frederick View Post
Dave,

The key I have found is to make sure you start with progressive footage! It always looks bad when you go from Upper Field first HD to lower field first SD. If you have HDV in 1080i instead of progressive, then here is what you need to do:
1) Take your edited HD sequence in FCP.
2) Create as others have said an SD sequence, but MAKE SURE THE FIELD DOMINANCE IS SET TO NONE!!! It usually defaults to lower field first!!!
3) Drag your HD sequence to it, render and output.
!
Thanks Paul. I'm a little confused about number 3. If I am making a DVD do I need to output a self contained Quickime movie to put into compressor or can I just export directly from the rendered SD sequence?
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 4th, 2008, 07:25 PM   #27
Major Player

Kevin,

I always make a self contained QT movie. Mainly so I have that as a MASTER SD file. Then I drag that into compressor and make my MPG. I've read that you can output to Compressor from the FCP SD timeline, but it always takes longer to export via Compressor from FCP.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 03:39 PM   #28
Major Player

Kevin, just wanted to thank you (and others) for your suggestions. I had a 2 hour "clip" that I had to export to a SD DVD and the conversion went fine. This was a legal-type recording session so I had to lay some faux timecode into the corner of the screen which is easy to do in Compressor. While I realize that this is a HD to SD downconversion, I was still a little unhappy with the sharpness of the resulting file. I created a 16:9 anamorphic version of the file and made the SD DVD 16:9 as well. If I wanted to add some sharpening to this downconversion, would it be applied to the original timeline or could I add it during Compressor's work?
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2008, 03:26 AM   #29
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Morrison View Post
If I wanted to add some sharpening to this downconversion, would it be applied to the original timeline or could I add it during Compressor's work?
Add it in Compressor. I set sharpening to 5.
Old October 6th, 2008, 04:30 AM   #30
Major Player

MPEG Streamclip

One of the best scalers I've ever used is included in MPEGStreamClip which is available both for Mac and Win here: Squared 5 - MPEG Streamclip video converter for Mac and Windows . Free :-)

Workflow: Export your HD Cut (selfcontained not mandatory), open that file in MPSC,
choose codec for target file (ProRes or the likes, MotionJPEG is also a good candidate),
choose target frame size (e.g. 720x576 for PAL), save and import that target file in
compressor.

Hope this helps, Pe.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds