What do you use to clean your lens? Lens Cleaning Tissue? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 19th, 2009, 04:02 PM   #31
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Are there any techniques or fluids that would neutralize what I believe is a static charge which makes this dust clingy?
Could be a static issue with glass, camera or you. Tried grounding yourself and/or camera? Touching a metal part of an electrical device that is plugged in to a grounded circuit - or the good old cold water sink pipe can safely discharge static.

Glass atoms tend to give up negative electrons and become positively charged. Flowing water generates negative ions - short of spraying your filter with water -have you tried a few good misty breath shots on the filter?

When I filmed on a Coast Guard boat with sea spray issues - clear water in a spray bottle - followed by Kodak tissues - was the only solution to getting salt water residue off the filter. Salt water is not only salt but has oily, filmy residue that most lens cleaners will not remove.
Kevin Cates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 04:56 PM   #32
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent Oliver View Post
I use a Hoya 77mm UV filter and leave it on my EX3 all the time. The lens hood still fits and other features work OK.
Thanks! At least I know now! Been meaning to actually try it for quite sometime - it only took this thread to do it - go figure!
Paul Inglis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #33
Major Player

I returned my tiffen 77mm because I couldn't get the hood back on my EX3 afterwards. Others have told me that it is possible and I just had to fiddle with it more, but I tried pretty hard for while and it didn't seem to want to work. Perhaps I'll test this with the Hoya version.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:00 AM   #34
Trustee

I'm with Alister. I love a photo quality chamois as it pulls oil and and any smudgy stuff off immediately. You can spend hours with lens paper and only move the stuff around.

To be honest I was told that only difference between photo quality chamois and the cheap auto parts store stuff was that the latter was washed to remove the oils in the original chamois, So i just buy a big piece at the auto store wash it and cut it up into pieces. Haven't hurt a lens yet but it sure does sound heretical and i do scare myself a touch.

NO ISOPROPYL ALCOHOL. ROR is very good.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:48 AM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I returned my tiffen 77mm because I couldn't get the hood back on my EX3 afterwards. Others have told me that it is possible and I just had to fiddle with it more, but I tried pretty hard for while and it didn't seem to want to work. Perhaps I'll test this with the Hoya version.
I have been looking at various filters and will be ordering the
Hoya 77mm SHMC PRO1-D UV as it has a Low Profile Frame so will be a filter that’ll most likely allow the lens hood to be fitted back on.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:16 PM   #36
Major Player

Please report back - if it works for you, I'll get one as well.
Old January 21st, 2009, 02:19 PM   #37
Major Player

I've been using the Ziess individually packaged pre-moistened lens cloths. It says it is specifically for multi-layer coatings, it's ammonia free, contains isopropyl alcohol, and is for a single use.

I'm not ecstatic about them, as sometimes they streak, but overall they seem to do a nice job.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:18 PM   #38
Trustee

Hmm, well if Zeiss OK's isopropyl alcohol maybe I'm wrong.
Leonard Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:26 AM   #39
Major Player

I wonder how much is in them, straight isopropyl streaks for a second and then evaporates leaving no residue. Its awesome.
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:29 PM   #40
Regular Crew

It looks like highly recommended Pancro contains isopropyl too.

On a related note, I found optical lens cleaning fluid for eyeglasses, etc., at Walmart.

Walmart.com: Wipe N Clear: Anti-Static Eyeglass Lens Cleaner, 8 fl oz: Medicine Cabinet

It smells like it contains isopropyl alcohol as well, but the ingredients are not listed on the bottle. I'm tempted to try it (it's cheap enough), but wonder if anyone thinks it might be dangerous for use on the EX1 lens?
Ben Chiu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 06:18 AM   #41
Major Player

Quote:
Will do! Have one on back-order with my regular supplier as they are temporarily out of stock! Hopefully will have some in next week!
Old January 24th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #42
Trustee

Quote:

It does work, I have it fitted to my EX3 - no problems.
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:51 AM   #43
Major Player

Hi Vincent,

Good to hear it works! So it's just a matter of waiting for mine to arrive then!
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:17 PM   #44
Major Player

Great! I've ordered one as well. So, once it arrives, and after a good critical cleaning, I'll only be cleaning the filter in the future! (Except for when I have to take it off for reflections, wide adapter, etc.)
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:30 PM   #45
Inner Circle

The problem with Isopropyl (IPA) is that it is almost never neat. It is almost always dilluted to some degree and the dilluent is often water which can cause problems, especially with cheap or unknown brands.

I buy large, good quality automotive chamois leathers, cut them into smaller squares and wash them. They last for years, can be washed from time to time to bring them back to good as new. As Vincent said they will wipe off grease, water, oils, salt spray etc. No need for chemicals and they still work even when soaking wet. Great for filming in the rain when your constantly having to wipe the lens between shots. I've been using them for 20+ years and have still to find anything better.

I hate lens tissues, as it only takes one bit of grit to scratch the lens. Because a chamois is quite thick any dirt can squash into the cloth reducing the risk of scratching the lens. Lens tissues won't work in the wet, they just smear the water all over the place.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds