EX/AVID Workflow - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 24th, 2008, 01:47 AM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme Fullick View Post
Can you confirm that upon import of the mxfs, your bin heading reads the selected
DNxHD choice, and not XDCAM?
Keith,

I am not sure what you mean by bin heading - when I import I am given the option of DNXHD185 - so I select it and the files are imported. They play perfectly on my hardware and edit effortlessly. If I try to transcode them DNxHD185 comes up greyed out and I cannot transcode them to this - which I thought implied that they were already in this format.

How do I find out if this is not the case? I have only been working with Media Composer for a few months - so I am still "wet behing the ears" on this one.[/QUOTE]

Set the bin to "text"-mode. In the BIN menu select "headings" and then select "video". You should now have a row that says what video format the clips are. My quess is that it does not say "DNxHD" but "XDCAM HD".
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #17
New Boot

Bill,
Thank you for the information on Cineform HD. Have you considered Main Concept which is a plugin for CB 2.0. I am not sure it does DNxHD though.

The possible problem with intermediates is that when you want to batch import another format (DNxHD instead of standard definition as an example) you might have problems since the second set of intermeidates may have a different name (or extension). You would then have to reassign every single clip.

Am I wrong on this?

Richard
Richard Burman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 24th, 2008, 07:57 AM   #18

AFAIK the price for CB2 plugins is outrageously expensive and unnecessary. I suppose the argument can be made that it's competitively priced with Cineform. Guess I'd MUCH rather support a small business that cares about my feedback, instead of Sony who wants my money and doesn't care about me beyond that.
Not sure I follow what you're saying about intermediates. Once I transcode my native mp4 file to CFHD avi, the transcoded version becomes my master clip. I archive the CFHD version and discard the BPAV/mp4. The only drawback in this workflow scenario is that CFHD loses the T/C info, which doesn't matter to me.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds