Ex3 Emergency - Help! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 5th, 2008, 01:12 PM   #1

Ex3 Emergency - Help!

I can't get the camera to turn off!

All I was doing at the time was cycling through the menu to try another format setting.

Any ideas!?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 01:51 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Take the battery off! Not a fulltime solution but would keep you working I'd think.
Steve
Steve Phillipps is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:14 PM   #3

I tried that. After putting it back on and powering it up, it doesn't get past the splash screen (XDCAM EX). If I try to turn it off using the power switch, nothing happens.

This camera is less that a week old and I have a very important shoot next Saturday!
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #4
Trustee

Remove any memory cards and try the battery thing again.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:53 PM   #5

That didn't do anything.

When I add a power supply (battery or DC), it starts the power up process, showing the splash screen, but it never gets any further than that.

I must then disconnect the power supply to turn off the camera.

Then, interestingly enough, if I turn the switch to the off setting, attach a power supply, and turn it to media, it powers up and I can access the thumbnails of the media clips--even watch them. Then I can turn it off.

Next, after turning it off, if I turn it on (for the camera), it starts the power up and hangs on the splash screen. Then when I attempt to turn it off, nothing happens and I have to disconnect it once again.
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #6
Trustee

Power it up and see if you can access the service menu.
This is how you do it with the EX1:

Press and hold the cancel button and menu button at the same time. Continue to hold these buttons and then hit the SEL/SET button.

I'm not sure how to with the EX3.
Also, it appears you never get up from a full boot, so this probably won't help. But anything is worth a shot.

Man, that's gotta suck!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 5th, 2008, 04:58 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Or, if you actually can get into the menu at all, perform the factory reset thingy.
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #8

With the help of Serena, from the Sony Vegas forum, I was able to get it started. Here's what I did, at her suggestion:

I connected the power and turn the switch to Media. Then I opened the menu, went to Others, selected Reset and hit Execute. It worked!
Old October 5th, 2008, 05:02 PM   #9
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Or, if you actually can get into the menu at all, perform the factory reset thingy.
Yes, I knew I forgot the reason to actually go there!
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds