EX1 or Z7U im ready ... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 14th, 2008, 05:19 AM   #16
Major Player

give me a ring! tapeless capture is awesome!
Scott Hayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 14th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #17
Regular Crew

yea thanks for bringing back down to reality ... i guess the only plus side for me getting the EX3 was for more comfy shooting hand held due to somewhat shoulder support of the EX3 otherwise the time code and genlock thing i guess only has benefits if your using more that one camera? forgive me but i am still really new to the video part ive been doing digital stills for the past 4-5 years using a Nikon D3 and D300 now but i need to expand. I have taken the apple's FCP classes and have become certified in editing so now im going after the shooting aspect.

you know what i have another question i ordered a sony SR12 cause i didnt think i was gonna be able to pull of getting the EX1 in time before i left for aruba and wanted to try shooting a music video there on the beach and i am still thinking of bringing the SR12 with me since it is so small i can carry around and possibly use for B-roll footage my question is would the footage look the same from both cameras ? i mean im gonna use HD on both but if i use some quick footage from SR12 would you be able to tell.

Last edited by Ron Williams; October 15th, 2008 at 07:20 AM.
Ron Williams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Ok ive tossed and turned all night ... between EX1 and EX3 even tho i do have the means to get the EX3 i think im gonna just stick with my original plans and stay with the EX1 even tho i know ill be doing alot of hand held work and the semi-shoulder would have been nice.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:22 AM   #19
Major Player

get yourself a cheapo shoulder mount.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:27 AM   #20
Regular Crew

yep scott thats exactly what i plan on doing i saw that B&H has an anton Bauer

Anton Bauer | STASIS FLEX for EX1 Shoulder Mount Camera | B&H

any opinions on this or any suggestions on one?
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:34 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Ron,

There is one other very compelling reason to go EX3, and least in my view. And that is if you decide to record dual system. If you plan to, or might want to record audio separately from the camera, then the timecode features could really save you some time.

This is something I am dealing with now, but the camera flash method is probably going to work out ok for me.
Old October 15th, 2008, 07:41 AM   #22
Major Player

ack, way too expensive. I had an original stasis, and it was the biggest pos. I sent it back immediately upon opening the box. perhaps a dv multirig pro or something like that.
I prefer a monopod.
Old October 15th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #23
Regular Crew

ok thats good to know about the stasis ... when i was in B&H the sales guy was big on the fig rig ... looked ok but seem like it would be a bit awkward ...
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:29 AM   #24
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Williams View Post
ok thats good to know about the stasis ... when i was in B&H the sales guy was big on the fig rig ... looked ok but seem like it would be a bit awkward ...
I've got the fig rig... and have hardly used it. It's too cumbersome to handle the camera controls with it.
Tyler Franco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 15th, 2008, 11:39 AM   #25
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyler Franco View Post
I've got the fig rig... and have hardly used it. It's too cumbersome to handle the camera controls with it.
Wanna send it to me? I've played with one once, but I think it would REALLY work for some of the stuff I do. I've been toying with the idea of getting one.
Old October 15th, 2008, 12:11 PM   #26
Regular Crew

ok well i pulled the trigger on the EX1 ... question how do you check to see if it has the latest firmware? when i was purchasing the salesman assured me that he was gonna pull one that just came in yesterday and that it should have the updated version. but for me seeing is believing so id like to check to make sure
Ron Williams is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds