SxS and battery problems at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 12th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #1
Major Player

SxS and battery problems

Hi all,

Ive been starting to get some issues with my EX1, nothing major but still.

1) often when I insert my bigger battery it says "battery error" and I have to take it off and put it back again.

2) Also nowadays every now and then both my SxS card "need to be restored". Only takes a second and after that all works fine.

Just wondering if these are symptoms of something bigger?

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 12th, 2008, 01:59 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Cards needing to be restored can be the result of many things, such as removing the battery without switching off the camera, unplugging the USB cable without ejecting the device from Finder or Explorer.

The battery issue could be dirty contacts, but should be investigated further.
Old October 12th, 2008, 02:06 PM   #3
Trustee

Never seen (or heard of) a battery issue.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 11:13 AM   #4
Trustee

one of my bp u60 is coming up with battery error every time. You press the check button and the lights flash continuously.
Old December 15th, 2008, 12:27 PM   #5
Trustee

Sounds like a battery issue, (which is better than a camera issue), i'd try someone elses battery to see if it still happens.
Easier to get your dealer or sony to replace a battery than a camera.

Paul.
Old December 15th, 2008, 01:50 PM   #6
Inner Circle

We should not be seeing battery issues. The cameras and Batts are all less than a year old and most people are using the Sony charger so they should not be failing, even if used heavily it is reasonable to expect a years use from a Pro Battery. I wonder if an early EX1 with the battery drain issue has damaged the battery by over discharging it. Li-Ion batteries can easily be damaged if over discharged.
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:49 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Li-Ion batteries can easily be damaged if over discharged.
That would make sense because the safety mech for shutting power off doesn't apply when the camera is simply sucking the power out even when it is turned off.

Quote:
Also nowadays every now and then both my SxS card "need to be restored". Only takes a second and after that all works fine.
One possibility is that you think the camera is off, but it isn't. So many times I have thought I have turned the camera off but that damn switch has actually gone into another mode. I used to get this message a lot on the EX1 I had for a while, and I'm sure it was because I was disconnecting the battery while wrongly thinking the camera was off.
Simon Wyndham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 04:56 PM   #8
Contributor

Simon, it is true that Li-Ion batteries can be damaged by overdischarge. In order to prevent this, they have built in safety circuits, they disable the battery in event your camera or light it trying to drain it too low. The moment you place the battery on a charger, it is enabled again.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Trustee

Alex, yes I know. That is what I was saying. However could still be possible for the battery to over discharge. Despite having safety circuits in my AB Dionics, if I accidentally leave the camera on, once the circuits kick in the camera turns on and off intermittently, which of course takes power from the battery. There is an indicator on the side of the Dionics that basically tells you you to disconnect the thing now and put it on the charger already! :)

So I think that it is still possible to damage the batteries even with the safety circuits. And we do not know how this applies with early EX1's that drained power continuously.
Old December 15th, 2008, 05:45 PM   #10
Contributor

Simon, I still think we are talking about two different things :-) The camera has it's own voltage level below which it does not function, so it turns itself off, or can do the turn on/turn off thing as you said. The Li-Ion battery has it's own built in safety circuit breaker set at a slightly lower level than the camera. This is to protect the battery from damage. Once that circuit tripped, the battery is playing dead, there is no display on it, it is trying to preserve itself. It would be self discharging very slowly, for several month before it reaches really really low level and is is getting destroyed.
http://www.dolgin.net
Alex Dolgin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 11:58 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Alex is correct that the battery should have a cut-off to prevent deep discharge. However if I leave a battery on my EX and it gets discharged for a few days it takes a lot longer to charge than a battery that has simply reached the cameras cut-off, indicating quite a deep state of discharge.
Old December 21st, 2008, 05:34 AM   #12
Major Player

I wrote to my dealer and this is the response I got regarding the battery issue and possible replacement: "Thank you for your e-mail. Because batteries are a consumable item they carry only a 90 day warranty from Sony..."

Sami
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:21 AM   #13
Regular Crew

My Charger Whines

My Charger makes a whining noise when recharging the BP-U30 (havent got a U60 yet). My EX3 is very new, it is on it's third charge...

Is this normal?

Oh and as the manual doesn't say, can we remove/add batteries to the charger with the power on?
Glynn Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #14
Trustee

There's no problem with the charger, it makes that noise normally. It puzzled me at first where the noise was coming from, and I was searching the room high and low to find the annoying *!$&, but eventually tracked it down to the charger.
Old February 11th, 2009, 09:39 AM   #15
Major Player

Hey Glynn,

Yes, the whiny sound is normal although annoying. I've been taking the batteries on/off the charger while its plugged in the year I've had them, no problems. Or do you mean if the camera is on with AC? Yep, you can do that too.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds