My First Wedding with the EX1 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 21st, 2008, 10:21 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Oh, one other thing. The EX1 has an audio pad level in the camera menu. Generally, once I get nice levels coming into the camera, I go set this pad to quiet the mic down so that the background noise goes away for the most part. Some fine tuning with ths and the levels, and all is right with the world...
Where is this then ?

Paul.
Old October 21st, 2008, 10:36 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
The EX1 has an audio pad level in the camera menu. Generally, once I get nice levels coming into the camera, I go set this pad to quiet the mic down so that the background noise goes away for the most part. Some fine tuning with ths and the levels, and all is right with the world...
Hi Perrone - - I appreciate the help. I'm now pretty sure that my Rode NTG-1 needs the 48v (no battery in the mic). My RF Sennheisers have batteries, so probably don't need the phantom power (48v); I also suspect they're mic level (and not LINE level) all the way — but I'll email the place where I bought them to double-check.
I'm confused about the whereabouts of the audio pad level. I don't see it in my camera menu. In my Audio menu, I see TRIM choices. Is that what you mean?
Thanks again,
Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:39 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony McErlean View Post
I didnt know Giving 48v to something that doesn't need it could damage it. Make sense?
That was the advice I was given, and I read it somewhere else too. I think I was looking at high end mics in Mix magazine or Sound on Sound or something. Can't remember now. But providing power on a cable when the mic is not expecting there to be any, seems like it could be problematic even from a layman's point of view.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:41 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
Where is this then ?

Paul.
Menu > Audio > Audio input.
Old October 21st, 2008, 11:44 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
I'm confused about the whereabouts of the audio pad level. I don't see it in my camera menu. In my Audio menu, I see TRIM choices. Is that what you mean?
Thanks again,
Malcolm
Yes, I meant the trim choices.
Old October 21st, 2008, 01:10 PM   #21
Major Player

Hi again Perrone... now I'm wondering what you set your TRIM to, to get rid of background noise. Thanks, Malcolm
Malcolm Hamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2008, 02:48 PM   #22
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malcolm Hamilton View Post
Hi again Perrone... now I'm wondering what you set your TRIM to, to get rid of background noise. Thanks, Malcolm
I don't have a set amount. Since the changes happen as you adjust trim, I just listen. I've found that I end up around 30-40db with the Sennheiser ME66/K6 combo. Slightly different with the SM58.

In my shot today, there was VERY evident background noise from the diesel generator one floor down. I set up the mic, had a friend read some test audio, and adjusted the trim levels in camera until the background noise went away or was greatly diminished. I ran the SM58 on camera today (for wild sound) and although there is a lot of ambient, that machine noise is buried. With the boom mic, I was going into a separate recorder today, and it's like nothing was even there in the room. I am stunned at what I was able to pull. 24 bit audio is amazing!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds