DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Playback stutters (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/136721-playback-stutters.html)

Buck Forester November 2nd, 2008 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Phillipps (Post 957656)
I saw "stuttering" on TV screen and also on interlaced I shot with an EX1. I'm gonna do some EX3 and PDW700 side by side tests soon, will post results and hopefully clips if I can figure it out!
Steve

Hey Steve, have you had a chance to do this side-by-side comparison? I'm contemplating the PDW700 and using my EX1 as a "B" camera.

Alister Chapman November 3rd, 2008 06:49 AM

I've used the 700 and EX3 side by side on several occasions. There is very little difference in the picture quality, in many instances it is difficult to tell which is which. I have not done an in depth progressive motion comparison between the 700 and EX, but they certainly cut together without any issue.

Steve Phillipps November 3rd, 2008 06:57 AM

Not been able to do it yet. What I'll try and do is get the two mounted on the same tripod and do the exact same shot with both (panning/tilting).
I not doubting Alister in any way, but I do find it hard to believe that a camera with a CMOS chip will give a similar image to a CCD camera. But we shall see, certainly if the 2 of them do have similar images I know which one I'd rather cart around and pay for - which as usual makes me question why if the performance is similar why anyone would buy the 700? And it's not the 1/2" chip thing, as the EX cameras are pretty sensitive, and you can (or will shortly be able to) get an ultrawide for it, while at the long end your lenses have more reach. Except for image qulaity you'd have to be insane to buy a 700.
Steve

Buck Forester November 3rd, 2008 07:32 AM

Thanks! I'm not worried about "image quality" per se, I'm in love with my EX1's image quality, except for slow pans on static subjects. That's the only reason I'd consider the 700, those 2/3" CCD chips that should give me the motion I need, no questions asked. I'm curious about the Scarlet and the faster CMOS refresh rates and 'huge' news it's supposed to be, but my guess is we wait until mid-Nov to hear an "announcement" that it's projected to be possibly ready by late mid/late 2009, and who knows. Jim, bless him, is a master at anticipation marketing. And of course I'm still holding out hope the Nano Flash will be available soon and see if it's the codec or CMOS that's bugging me on these slow EX1 pans. But sometimes I wonder if I should just bite the bullet and go with one of the big boys and have what I need (except the 700 is bigger/heavier than I prefer).

Tom Roper November 3rd, 2008 09:31 AM

Playback from the EX1 is always smooth on a Blu-ray authored disk, 24p included. The EX1 is no different than other cams in this respect.

Jay Gladwell November 3rd, 2008 09:51 AM

Chuck, sorry to hear you're having problems with your EX3s.

So far, shooting for nearly a month in 1080p at 30fps, I haven't seen this stutter you're talking about. I'm confident that it isn't an EX3 issue. I can't comment on the possibility of it being an FCP issue, as I use another NLE.

Best of luck on getting it sorted out!

Gints Klimanis November 3rd, 2008 01:01 PM

Thanks for the PS3 recipe!

Steven Thomas November 3rd, 2008 04:27 PM

Again, it depends on how you are viewing motion.
Direct out of the camera to an HDTV set it looks odd for motion.
Burn to BluRay looks normal.

If you have not done this, be prepared to be surprised.
I've had the bluray playing (1080i) the same footage and at the same time the EX1 running to another input on my 50" Pioneer plasma. Switching to the EX1 the image had odd motion with softer pans. The Bluray input looked perfect, very smooth.
I'm not sure what the heck is going on there...

I can say my JVC HD100 did the same thing... I'm unsure why?