boasting about my EX1 rig... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old October 29th, 2008, 06:41 AM   #1
Inner Circle

boasting about my EX1 rig...

Here are some pictures of my - now almost complete - rig, featuring the Letus Extreme, the Redrock Micro add-os, and the Manhattan HD monitor.

If I were to give write-up's, I'd say that the Redrock Micro stuff is indeed of an exceptional quality, with equally great support from Brian Valente. The Manhattan monitor is also very, very good (as is the Tekkeon battery powering it), and the support from ManhattanLCD's John Reed outstanding.

Unfortunately, I cannot say I'm satisfied with the Letus Extreme performance or build quality -a real bummer! Aaron, if you read this, please do something to improve the level of Extreme users satisfaction, instead of just charging more for the Ultimate version (which merely offers improvements the Extreme should have as a standard, in the first place)...

So now the only missing thing I'm still waiting for is the NanoFlash - Mike, I'm counting on you!
Attached Thumbnails
boasting about my EX1 rig...-dsc00537.jpg   boasting about my EX1 rig...-dsc00542.jpg  

Old October 29th, 2008, 06:50 AM   #2

Piotr, what kind of videos do you shoot with that rig?
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 06:54 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Jay,

Mainly live classical music performances. But I also hope to start making my own feature shorts, now that I almost have a "film" rig :)
Old October 29th, 2008, 08:04 AM   #4
Trustee

It's okay for you to boast, if it's okay for me to ask if I can borrow it.

Please pack it carefully. I will not be held responsible for damaged (or missing) items! (Grin...)
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:02 AM   #5
Major Player

Piotr, what is the resolution of that Monitor? Do you have a link handy to point me to that exact model? The setup looks great!

Thanks!
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Here you are, Jason:

https://www.manhattanlcd.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=23

Oh, and it's 1366*768 - amazing. Both Component and HDMI inputs!
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:27 AM   #7
Major Player

Looking good Piotr, almost can't see the EX1 in there now ;)

I've never really understood the benefit of those big matte boxes, they seem to be one of those items that costs extraordinary amounts of money for very little functionality... or am I missing something?
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:41 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Paul,

Apart from their main function (i.e. preventing unwanted light from entering the lens), it also holds several (mine has two) rotary filter stages; no more problems with the screwed-on versions of the IR cut, pola, or grad ND...
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Paul,

Apart from their main function (i.e. preventing unwanted light from entering the lens), it also holds several (mine has two) rotary filter stages; no more problems with the screwed-on versions of the IR cut, pola, or grad ND...
Makes sense if you need to swap those kind of things in and out a lot I guess. I was considering getting one of those little cokin filter holders designed for 35mm lenses to do the same job as I'm finding I need ND on the front most of the time with my brevis if shooting in daylight.

With regards to the light getting in, does having the extra shade make a noticeable difference to the footage? Obviously direct sunlight on the lens would cause flare etc, but I can stop that with my little 35mm lens hood. Please stop me from needing another expensive part ;)
Old October 29th, 2008, 11:54 AM   #10
Major Player

Piotr, thanks for the link... Maybe an early X-Mas present :)
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:04 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Please stop me from needing another expensive part ;)
Paul, do you have a wing at the back of your family car?

;)
Old October 29th, 2008, 12:16 PM   #12
Major Player

Sweet! I just don't think it would fit on the deck of my expedition kayak. :Þ
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:19 PM   #13
Major Player

I have read about the Letus product not being up to scratch. However, I understand that it does work very well.

And to think that Sony marketed this camera as a hand held unit!!! HA!

Nice rig Piotr.
Old October 29th, 2008, 02:35 PM   #14
Inner Circle

Don't get me wrong - the image quality I'm getting with the improved Letus achromat for EX1, and my Canon lenses, is marvellous. If I'm not totally satisfied is that a precise opto-mechanical device like this, sitting between your high-quality lens and an even higher-quality camera, should absolutely be built better than the Extreme version is.

As I wrote elsewhere, the back focus adjustment is a real pain; even if you succeed in getting it to focus at infinity, the GG can change the amplitude and frequency of vibration, making such noise that shooting with an onboard mic is simply impossible. Also, the way adjustment is done will never assure that you will leave the GG planar with the camera imagers (i.e. normal to the lens axis). This causes picture softness in one corner or even the whole (left or right, upper or lower) extremity of the frame.

Also, the way it's attached to the thread ring on the camera lens is just pathetic - unstable, flimsy, and above all, unrepeatable.

Most of the above have been fixed with the Ultimate version, for more than twice the price...
Old October 29th, 2008, 03:03 PM   #15
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Joy View Post
Makes sense if you need to swap those kind of things in and out a lot I guess.
Paul, this is the point - with a swinging matte box like the microMatteBox, no matter how often I change my 35mm lenses I do not need to remove the filters and then put them back again. And the price/value ratio is exceptional!

So after all, my car rear wing analogy was just a joke - a good matte box is really useful. And that it makes your rig look even more pro - well, why not? Just an extra bonus :)

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds