On-board mics for EX series cameras at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 2nd, 2008, 03:44 AM   #1
Major Player

On-board mics for EX series cameras

I know that this topic has been discussed in one way or another in various threads.

I'm currently using the on-board mic that used to be issued out with the DSR-300 DVCAM camcorder. This was a very good mic for ambience audio with the 300. However the quality of sound on the EX3 is far from satisfactory - almost the same as that on the in-built mic. I know that many have said that the mic pre-amp of the EX1/3 leaves much to be desired BUT I'm getting very good audio when I attach a Sony UWP cordless mic. The only difference between the two is that with the DSR-300 mic I've got to switch on the +48 volts whilst with the cordless mic it's kept off.

Is it possible that this mic that I'm using is not working at its best because of the questionable level of the +48 volts of the camera? This mic that I'm using has been designed more than 10 years ago.

Is anyone using the recommended Sony ECM-673? If so, are you happy with the audio? When I say happy I'm referring to general ambience sound and a possible impromptu (unplanned) recording of a quick very short interview where the speaker is no more than 2 feet away from the camera and where there is no chance of getting out a cordless mic.

And will the 674, 678, and 680 continue to improve on the 673 or a more spec mic does not necessarily mean a more improved audio?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I cannot test these mics since none of them are available for testing in my country (everything has to be ordered).

Thanks
Brian Cassar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 05:50 AM   #2
Regular Crew

The 678 is to long and too heavy to be used on the EX3. But the sound is good.
Arild Pedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:20 PM   #3
Inner Circle

I'm using the Sony ECM 680 with the EX1 and it works quite well.
Actually as cameras go the mic preamp on the EX1 is pretty good (unusually for Sony). Even the difficult to please "Basspig" likes it and he's railed against the Sony camera mic preamps.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:25 PM   #4
Major Player

I use an old Sony 670 and a Sennheiser 416 + Sony ECM77s and get results that seem ok.
Bruce Rawlings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 01:57 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Sanken CS-1

I'd used a Sennheiser ME66 for years on my PD150, which was a bit tinny and tended to distort when levels got too hot. I got a great deal on the Sanken CS-1 short shotgun off craigslist that I couldn't refuse, and I've never looked back. It's remarkably small (no inadvertent softie in the shot), and has a great warm sound.
Michael Rehfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 2nd, 2008, 09:15 PM   #6
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Cassar View Post
I know that this topic has been discussed in one way or another in various threads.

I'm currently using the on-board mic that used to be issued out with the DSR-300 DVCAM camcorder. This was a very good mic for ambience audio with the 300. However the quality of sound on the EX3 is far from satisfactory - almost the same as that on the in-built mic. I know that many have said that the mic pre-amp of the EX1/3 leaves much to be desired BUT I'm getting very good audio when I attach a Sony UWP cordless mic. The only difference between the two is that with the DSR-300 mic I've got to switch on the +48 volts whilst with the cordless mic it's kept off.

Is it possible that this mic that I'm using is not working at its best because of the questionable level of the +48 volts of the camera? This mic that I'm using has been designed more than 10 years ago.

Is anyone using the recommended Sony ECM-673? If so, are you happy with the audio? When I say happy I'm referring to general ambience sound and a possible impromptu (unplanned) recording of a quick very short interview where the speaker is no more than 2 feet away from the camera and where there is no chance of getting out a cordless mic.

And will the 674, 678, and 680 continue to improve on the 673 or a more spec mic does not necessarily mean a more improved audio?

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated as I cannot test these mics since none of them are available for testing in my country (everything has to be ordered).

Thanks
Hi Brian,
I'm not an expert, but I do own a couple of these mics and I have been happy with them. They are nice and quiet and fairly directional. I am using them on Ex-1s and they are much better than the internal mics. Fine for what you describe above. I also own a KMR-81i which is a better mic in every way, but it is heavier and longer. I would put the ECM-673 almost exactly in the middle between the internals and the 81i. The finish is a thin coat of gray paint and the mic feels a little cheap, but sound is good and so far no problems. In other words a good but not a great mic. Fine for what I do which is mostly run and gun event videography.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds