DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   zoom adapter cable (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/137291-zoom-adapter-cable.html)

Evan Meades November 6th, 2008 01:40 AM

zoom adapter cable

Found this cable from Jonyjib. I thought the zoom controller had to be a Lanc version but could this work on a EX1/3?

8 Pin Zoom Adapter Cable for Sony EX1 or EX3 - eBay (item 220306540277 end time Nov-14-08 09:40:35 PST)

Evan

Paul Kellett November 6th, 2008 04:02 AM

Libec sell a controller for the EX1, i've got one, it's called a ZC9-EX, on the end of the original cable is another piece of cable, an adaptor, that's the piece that you're looking at.
So in other words, if you've got an old Libec controller which doesn't fit the EX1 then you can just buy the adaptor cable instead of buying a whole new controller.

Paul.

Ted OMalley November 6th, 2008 06:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Kellett (Post 960149)
Libec sell a controller for the EX1, i've got one, it's called a ZC9-EX, on the end of the original cable is another piece of cable, an adaptor, that's the piece that you're looking at.
So in other words, if you've got an old Libec controller which doesn't fit the EX1 then you can just buy the adaptor cable instead of buying a whole new controller.

Paul.

Paul,

According to Libec Tech Support (Chuy), that won't work. First, they don't sell the adapter cable seperate. Second, the electronics in the controller have changed. If I remember correctly, using the original one with the adapter would cause the lens to constantly creep.

When I spoke with the folks at Bebob (who also sell a zoom controller) they confirmed that the original Libec, the ZC-9Pro, did not use correct electronics when sending the signal to the lens and instead used a basic potentiometer or rheostat that would not give ideal performance.

For the EX1/3, Libec completely re-engineered the internal components so that now it works with the same lenses PLUS the EX cameras. And, of course, they included the adapter cable as well.

Evan Meades November 6th, 2008 10:37 PM

Thanks guys however I was hoping to use my old (Sp betacam) Fujinon zoom control and use this adapter cable. Has anyone experience with the original professional zoom controllers and maybe this cable adapter?

I know I can always get the libec et all controllers but I already have a few of the old controllers for bigger cameras so....

Evan

Ted OMalley November 7th, 2008 07:48 AM

Sorry, Even.

Yes, that adapter should work for your situation. Provided you aren't using it with the older Libec controller. That said, I haven't personally tried it, but it is just an adapter and should work fine.

Evan Meades November 9th, 2008 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 960644)
Sorry, Even.

Yes, that adapter should work for your situation. Provided you aren't using it with the older Libec controller. That said, I haven't personally tried it, but it is just an adapter and should work fine.

Thanks Ted, I have a contact who can probably make up an adapter but he/I need a wiring diagram of the EX3 zoom connector and a 8 pin plug to suit! I can order the Jonijib adapter but it's $100 US just for freight so 180.00 US!...which is ridiculous!

I have a few perfectly good, pro zoom controllers and simply need an adapter! And yes, a dealer for Libec here in Australia told me they won't sell their adapter part separately so i'm stuffed there too!

Any one with a diagram?

Paul Newman November 10th, 2008 02:46 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This is all I have right now.

Paul

Alister Chapman November 10th, 2008 03:11 AM

$100 for shipping is a joke. It would only cost a few dollars to send by airmail. I've asked the seller for a more sensible shipping rate to the UK. If not I will get a few sent via my parents in the US.

Alister Chapman November 10th, 2008 12:09 PM

I've contacted the seller and he has offered to ship it via US postal Service to the UK for $20.

Evan Meades November 10th, 2008 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alister Chapman (Post 961803)
I've contacted the seller and he has offered to ship it via US postal Service to the UK for $20.

that looks promising! I've emailed him and hopefully he will offer me the same postage option! Thanks Alister!

Evan

Evan Meades November 10th, 2008 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Newman (Post 961652)
This is all I have right now.

Paul

Hey Paul, thanks for that! Should help if I can source a 8 pin plug to suit the EX3.

Cheers, Evan

Alister Chapman November 18th, 2008 08:32 AM

My Johny jib cable arrived today. It's well made and works perfectly with my Broadcast Fujinon lens remote. To work with a Canon remote you would need to adapt the canon remote pin out to match the fujinon pin out or use a Canon to Fujinon adapter cable. Certainly the price is right and I can use the same remote for my EX lens or any Fujinon Broadcast lenses on my EX3

Evan Meades November 18th, 2008 05:25 PM

Great Alister, I'm glad it works with the fujinon zoom controller. Do you get smooth/gradual control?

Evan

Alister Chapman November 19th, 2008 12:59 PM

I get very smooth control. My Fujinon zoom demand has a speed control as well as the rocker and it gives me great control, just as if using it with a broadcast lens.

George Strother November 27th, 2008 02:12 AM

If you have a VariZoom Pro-C or PG-C the JonyJib adapter now works GREAT, but let John know you have that VariZoom controller.

I have a VariZoom Pro-C controller for my BetaSP rig and HD100 plus a Pro-EX for my EX1.

When I bought the EX1 I called VariZoom to ask about an adapter cable and they said they couldn't make an adapter work. So I bought the Pro-EX but when it arrived I was disappointed to see it didn't have a speed reduction dial like the Pro-C. I hadn't noticed it's omission in the specs. Got to learn to pay more attention!

When I saw Evan Meades' thread, I called John and asked if the Canon to EX1 adapter worked with the Pro-C. He hadn't test that controller, but emailed within a week and said it was now tested and worked.

When my Canon to EX1 adapter cable arrived it worked - but backwards. Not good. My thumb isn't smart enough to remember to push the opposite way whenever I switch cameras and it's going to be on a different camera about every other day.

Called John on Friday (when the adapter arrived) and he said he would work on it over the weekend. Got an email Tuesday saying a new cable was shipped. Arrived today and works perfectly.

Now I need to post my Pro-EX in DV Info classifieds!