Using Windows-PC laptop for storing SxS cards at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 8th, 2008, 08:15 PM   #1
Major Player

Using Windows-PC laptop for storing SxS cards

Hola. Another very basic question from me. I just bought a Dell laptop for the sole purpose of field dumping my SxS cards. My editing computer is a new Mac Pro but my laptop is Windows. Do I need Clip Browser downloaded on my laptop in order to offload my SxS cards? Or can I just transfer the files as is into a folder? I won't be editing with my laptop. I've never worked with these BPAV files other than inserting the SxS cards into my Sony SxS reader on my Mac and then importing them using XDCAM Transfer. I haven't been using Clip Browser at all. I just want to make sure I have this field workflow down before I actually take it out there. Gracias.
Buck Forester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Major Player

You can transfer The BPAV folders as is. If you want to make two simultaneous copies and have the computer check for errors you might want to look into shotput express.
ShotPut EXpress - Video Offloading for Mac and Windows I always make at least two copies on separate drives before I wipe a card.
Kevin Walsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 8th, 2008, 08:59 PM   #3
Major Player

Cool... easier than I thought. Thanks so much, Kevin. I have a Lacie Rugged USB harddrive to make backup copies.
Old November 8th, 2008, 09:25 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Western Digital just released a new portable HD... its called the My Passport Studio...

They don't show it on the WD website yet (500GB version) but I bought one at Best Buy this morning...

Its got 3 way interface... USB 2.0, Firewire 400 and Firewire 800... works with Windows
or Apple or if you want you can partition it so half of it is Apple and the other half is
Windows... very fast and very small, about the size of a small paperback... case logic
even has a carry case for it...

WD also has a HD media player that the Studio plugs into so you can play your footage
on any TV or monitor that has HDMI/Composite inputs... its full blown 1080P

It also is about the size of a paperback book..., plays music and photo slide show too.
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #5
Major Player

It's listed there now...

My Passport Studio 500 GB Triple Interface Hard Drives ( WDMT5000 )
Old November 9th, 2008, 10:24 AM   #6
Major Player

That harddrive looks good but I need something more rugged for the wilds, mine will be bouncing around in my backpack and kayak on multi-day trips.
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:28 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Forester View Post
That harddrive looks good but I need something more rugged for the wilds, mine will be bouncing around in my backpack and kayak on multi-day trips.
Its made of metal.... could use a small pelican case to put it in....
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:12 PM   #8
Trustee

I don't care for Lacie drive very much, but you might want to check this one out.

LaCie - Rugged Hard Disk - Hi-Speed USB 2.0
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:20 PM   #9
Major Player

Funny thing, I bought a Lacie Rugged 320GB harddrive (All-Terrain, Firewire 800/400 and USB 2). I hooked it up last night to my laptop and it's only showing 9.99 MB total disk space (yes, that's with an "M", ha!). So far my experience with Lacie is not good.
Old November 9th, 2008, 11:45 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Forester View Post
So far my experience with Lacie is not good.
You are not the only one and you won't be the last one, unfortunately. They do not have a good track record. :-(
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 10th, 2008, 02:40 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Try these drives, Freecom ToughDrive 320GB.
http://www.freecom.com/
I have 2 and they have had some abuse and still work!
Another bonus is they have a built in Cable.
Mark Twittey is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds