Modified Mizar Optical Head and EX1 clip at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 9th, 2008, 04:22 AM   #1
Major Player

Modified Mizar Optical Head and EX1 clip

I shot this with the EX1 and a Mizar Optical motorised head. I made an astable switch which enables a timed motor run, then a timed pause interval. This means I can shoot a 360 degree pan over a period of say 8 hours. The slow setting on the Mizar normally does 180 degrees in 15 minutes.

The system moves the head, then shoots a frame on the EX1, I used HQ 1920x1080 25p and of course SDHC!

Paul

Agua Blanca Sunrise Timelapse - Test on Vimeo
Old November 9th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Paul, Your work looks fantastic....

can you show us the modifications to the motorized head...

thanks
Ray Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 9th, 2008, 01:18 PM   #3
Major Player

Ray,

I'm out early tomorrow to try another test, I'll take some stills of the rig, at present it's all bare wires and circuit board for testing, and I need a larger battery as I'm using the pack which comes with the Mizar Optical head ie: 8 penlight cells, which I believe should run the motor for a few hours, but I'm aiming at a whole day - so also need better supply for the EX1 - I'm willing to try a small motorbike battery, something that will run it all for a day.

Paul
Old December 13th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Nice timelapses! You never posted the info on your rig, I would love to know! Also how do you fire the EX1 from your board? At least this is what it sounds like you are doing.

Please post some images soon!

Thanks

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds