SxS card reader? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 11th, 2008, 09:18 PM   #16
Major Player

man, that almost sounds too good to be true. but if its working well for others. it might be better to get two 8gb SxS from BH and then get the rest as SDHC...that could definately save some money.

thanks for the links
Ian Planchon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:28 PM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
but it sounds like the rumor is sony might update the firmware to lock that option out...and if that is even remotely true, by the time I get the camera, that option probably wont be on the table. BUT, if it is, then I will definately consider SCHC for shoots where I dont have to worry about breaking that adapter off.
There's no rumor, unless you're trying to create one. ;)
Also, if they disable the USB support via expresscard, it would render all existing PHU-60K capture drives useless.

Having said that, soon it won't matter (at least for me) I'm planning on buying the NanoFlash which uses inexpensive compactflash cards. The 4:2:2 100mbps long-GOP codec is simply amazing. The NanoFlash list at $3.5K. Hopefully we will see them near $3K. Sony needs to pay more attention to these upcoming drives. They may want to jump on this bandwagon. This device is not much more than two of their 32GB SxS cards. Cineform is also working on one (or more) too.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:31 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
There's no rumor, unless you're trying to create one.
Also, if they disable the USB support via expresscard, it would render all existing PHU-60K capture drives useless.

Having said that, soon it won't matter for me. I'm planning on buying the NanoFlash which uses inexpensinve compactflash cards. The 4:2:2 100mbps long-GOP codec is simply amazing. The NanoFlash list at $3.5K. Hopefully we will see them near $3K.
i was reading about the XDR, and just heard about the nano, seems pretty sweet. and a great addition, rather then spending 60k on a full size HD camera.
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:39 PM   #19
Trustee

Ian, based on the samples I've seen. It's going to bring the EX cameras into another level of performance.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 09:51 PM   #20
Major Player

whats the difference between the nano and the XDR, isnt it 50mb/s vs 100mb/s?
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:00 PM   #21
Major Player

oh, nevermind, I found the info.
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:49 PM   #22
Major Player

can someone post a link to the kensington adapter?
Old November 11th, 2008, 10:54 PM   #23
Obstreperous Rex

Ian, didn't you read my previous reply (#15 in this thread)? Everything you need to know, including the link to the Kensington adapter, is there: http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/958333-post794.html -- hope this helps,

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:01 PM   #24
Major Player

man, for some reason it wasnt showing up on my computer. I knew you had posted it, but then I couldnt find it, so I thought I was just going crazy.

thanks AGAIN...hahaha.
Old November 11th, 2008, 11:05 PM   #25
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Planchon View Post
whats the difference between the nano and the XDR, isnt it 50mb/s vs 100mb/s?
A more likely possibility will be Sony's firmware update for the EX line to output 50Mb/s to SXS cards since they have the headroom to support this. However, such a move will be driven by competition when the time comes.

Convergent has already confirmed in these forums that Nano/XDR are using the same Sony codec chips found in our EX cameras. So a firmware update to support higher data rates would surely be a welcomed rumor for the folks who have purchased Sony's SXS cards-- which certainly hold the potential for some future proofing.

For the time being I'm inclined to agree with Steven that the USB support via Expresscard will remain in tact for the existing PHU-60K drive.
Barry J. Anwender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 09:23 AM   #26
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Having said that, soon it won't matter (at least for me) I'm planning on buying the NanoFlash which uses inexpensive compactflash cards. The 4:2:2 100mbps long-GOP codec is simply amazing. The NanoFlash list at $3.5K. Hopefully we will see them near $3K. Sony needs to pay more attention to these upcoming drives. They may want to jump on this bandwagon. This device is not much more than two of their 32GB SxS cards. Cineform is also working on one (or more) too.
How does this work with the Ex1/EX3? I gather this is some sort of external recoding device? If so, how does it connect to the EX3? Does the EX3 output 4:2:2?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Anwender View Post
A more likely possibility will be Sony's firmware update for the EX line to output 50Mb/s to SXS cards since they have the headroom to support this. However, such a move will be driven by competition when the time comes.
If Sony can actually do this wouldn't now be the time?

So from what I'm reading here, will it (soon) be possible to capture 4:2:2 HD on the EX1/3 either in an outboard device or internally to the SxS cards?

Do you think 4:2:2 will make much of a difference?
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:05 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
Considering that some broadcasters will only accept 4:2:2, it can make a big difference!

There was another thread in the EX forum that showed the difference. Try a search in this forum for "4:2:2" and it should come up.

EDIT: Here's the thread:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/sony-xdca...out-420-a.html

Last edited by Jay Gladwell; November 12th, 2008 at 10:14 AM. Reason: To provide thread
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:47 AM   #28
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
How does this work with the Ex1/EX3? I gather this is some sort of external recoding device? If so, how does it connect to the EX3? Does the EX3 output 4:2:2?

If Sony can actually do this wouldn't now be the time?

So from what I'm reading here, will it (soon) be possible to capture 4:2:2 HD on the EX1/3 either in an outboard device or internally to the SxS cards?

there is a thread in the tapeless section dedicated to flash XDR, which is by convergent designs.

It looks like you take a BNC from the SDI out on the ex3 and run that to the SDI in on the nano/xdr and then record straight to the cf cards at 4:2:2. pretty sweet.
Old November 12th, 2008, 10:58 AM   #29
Regular Crew

As an alternative we invested in Synchrotech's PCIe to ExpressCard Drive Read-Writer EXP54-CR-PCEIF1 with somewhat mixed success. It gives us a built-in Express Card slot that goes direct to a PCIe card slot. It is twice the speed and half the cost of Sony's USB card reader. There are significant pitfalls as well: SxS cards are all we've tried, but hot-swapping cards has not worked for us. It seems to read when the computer boots and that's it. To read a second card we have to reboot. Major pain in the neck. To be fair, they did warn us in their directions that there could be problems with this. (Of course you have to own it to read the instructions). There may be a way to force the computer to repoll the devices but I haven't fooled around with it that much. It was also fussy in terms of which card slot it went into. I had to do a fair amount of card shuffling to get things working. And, of course, it takes up a PCIe bus so I had to find a motherboard that had enough slots to support this, my video card, an Aja card, and a RAID controller.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds