Stabilize EX for Handheld Shots - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 17th, 2008, 04:39 PM   #16
Trustee

I don't have a controller for the EX yet. Been waiting for the products to finish evolving.
Do you have any recommendations??
Old November 17th, 2008, 05:12 PM   #17
Trustee

Robert, actually I'm looking for recommendations :)
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 05:20 AM   #18
Regular Crew

I have found that I can get very stable pictures by simply using the supplied camera strap around my neck and holding the camera taught, basically a three point mount. It is not suitable for all types of shots, but works well from stomach to neck height and doesn't cost a cent!

Geoff
Geoff Addis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:49 AM   #19
Major Player

How about this one QF70E Quantum Quick Release "L" Bracket QF70E

I've seen it before and it seems really well put together.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 03:28 PM   #20
Trustee

Dan
Looks like the same idea indeed. One concern: I can't tell from the photo if that grip has the little stabilizing peg that sits up in front of the tripod screw. I think that is a necessary feature for use with a cam as heavy as the EX.
One thing that really impresses me about the UGrip: It is rock solid attached to the camera. It all feels like one single piece of equipment. Nothing slips, moves, loosens, etc. when you carry, or swing the cam around by that grip handle.
Bob
Old November 19th, 2008, 06:41 PM   #21
Major Player

Bob,

I would share your concerns about the grip wobbling. The Quantum has no peg, you would have to improvise to get a better grip. Personally I would think about permanently attaching a quick release plate to it that matched the ones I use in the camera.

Dan
Dan Chung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2008, 10:40 PM   #22
Trustee

Yes, the quick release is the only way to go.
I had on hand a Manfrotto base plate that fits all of my quick release camera plates. The base plate easily attached to the UGrip base plate (two point attachment), so I can quick release from UGrip to tripod, monopod, or nothing. I just did this, so it's not in the photos at the beginning of this thread.

Last edited by Robert Young; November 20th, 2008 at 01:33 AM.
Robert Young is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds