EX3 lense question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 17th, 2008, 07:09 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 lense question

Might be a dumb question, but I am curious...can I use my old 1/2 lense from the DSR300 series on the EX3? I've got 2 good lenses here, would like tho use thier reach on occasion.
I know the 1/2 adaptor is supplied, I wonder if they will work, or if they'll look good at all.

Tom.
Old November 17th, 2008, 07:43 AM   #2

This might be a dumb question, too.

If you've got the adaptor, and you've got the lenses, why not try them out and see for yourself?

Let us know how it turned out.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 10:37 AM   #3
Regular Crew

One dumb question deserves another, I guess! The answer to your question is: I don't have the EX3, ...yet. Going through a business re-investment now, God willing, I'll have the cameras soon. Purchasing an EX3 and 2 EX1 cameras.
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #4

Sorry, Thomas, I didn't catch that in my initial read of your post.

Just a thought here, you do understand that the settings for the EX1 do not give you the same "look" on the EX3 and vice versa. When shooting multi-camera, you'll need a video engineer (which might be you!) to match the cameras.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2008, 11:37 AM   #5
Major Player

Do you have a nearby pro dealer where you could actually test your lenses on EX-3?

Otherwise, put out the call for anyone in the area who wishes to test.

I'd love to test it for you but DFW to Ohio is a bit far to drive for the afternoon.

I had considered trying to find a used 1/2" SD lens for my EX-3 but was dissuaded both from board comments as well as by other shooters. Other than the quality of the glass, these older 1/2" SD lenses were designed for 4:3 shooting. Shooting 16:9 will very likely result in very soft images around the edges.

If your lenses have the dual hot-shoe 7 pin on each shoe, the lens will work with the camera. Working and looking good are two entirely different matters.

On the other hand, if the quality is acceptable for your application, that is the ultimate criterion.

Ned Soltz
Ned Soltz is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds