EX1 on a big screen - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2008, 07:09 PM   #31
Major Player

Darek, great picture - congratulations! Have you stayed in Sipadan or Mabul? I remember this oil platform lookalike place in the middle of the sea in Mabul serving divers as hostel. Have you stayed there and took trips to Sipadan? Have you taken something on the land, too? There are pretty amazing places in Sabah, I wont mind seeing your footage if you got some.

cheers
Old November 26th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darek Sepiolo View Post
Dzięki. A Ty co kręcisz?
I jeszcze pytanie o nanoflash. Pisales, ze cos wiecej wiesz... zdradzisz jakies szczegoly? Miales okazje to testowac?
D
Hi Darek,

Let me use English, as our Polish diacritics look awful for people without the right code page installed :)

I mainly do classical and jazz live performances. As to the NanoFlash - unfortunately I've been asked to keep it secret for now, but I can tell you it's certainly worth waiting for!

Cheers

Piotr

Last edited by Piotr Wozniacki; November 27th, 2008 at 04:39 AM.
Piotr Wozniacki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 26th, 2008, 09:14 PM   #33
Major Player

speaking of big screen. I recently learned the cameras used in the latest Star Wars movies were all closely related to the Sony F900.. which I then quickly did a search to see if anyone compared that camera to an Ex1/3. I found one that was testing about 8 cameras and always put the EX1 just below the F900..

So let's make a feature film! :)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 05:54 PM   #34
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Hi Darek,

Let me use English, as our Polish diacritics look awful for people without the right code page installed :)

I mainly do classical and jazz live performances. As to the NanoFlash - unfortunately I've been asked to keep it secret for now, but I can tell you it's certainly worth waiting for!

Cheers

Piotr
I'm thinking of investing in NanoFlash or waiting for Scarlet. EX1 is a great camera but for my underwater productions I'd preffer a smaller one and here comes Scarlet. We'll see when Nano is available. Any predictions of the release date?
Darek Sepiolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 12:20 AM   #35
Trustee

Darek, Scarlet has a totally different workflow than EX1, as far as I understand... this does not scare you? :)

Plus, which Scarlet - they have 4 different versions now.
Alex Raskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #36
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
For EX1 movie projections, have you tried stand-alone media players like WD HD Media player, or Popcorn Hour A-110? (latter has component outs, while former features HDMI only.)

Both can output 1080p24, as far as I understand the specs.

So all one should do is encode the movie into MPEG2 or WMV, copy it to the respective device's hard drive - and here is your HD video player that's 3-5 times cheaper than the proposed MacMini.
I purchased the WD HD TV from Best Buys yesterday for $129. I don't have an external hard drive at home to test this with, but I encoded an HD file to H264, saved it to a USB thumb drive and it played it fine. However, it would not fast forward or rewind. I'm not sure if this is because I was using a thumb drive, so I'll try it again tomorrow.

This has a lot of promise but if I can't scan forward and backwards it probably won't work for what we need.

I didn't test different frame rates, but I did test 720P, !080i and 1080P and it worked fine.
Chuck Spaulding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:59 AM   #37
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex Raskin View Post
Darek, Scarlet has a totally different workflow than EX1, as far as I understand... this does not scare you? :)

Plus, which Scarlet - they have 4 different versions now.
It's not that bad. There's native support for R3D files in FCP. I've already tested the workflow and it's quite simple. Nobody knows what Scarlet will be like but I'm pretty sure it'll be a great tool.
Old November 28th, 2008, 06:06 AM   #38
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darek Sepiolo View Post
I'm thinking of investing in NanoFlash or waiting for Scarlet. EX1 is a great camera but for my underwater productions I'd preffer a smaller one and here comes Scarlet. We'll see when Nano is available. Any predictions of the release date?
Not this year, I'm afraid... But again, it's worth waiting for!
Old November 28th, 2008, 02:22 PM   #39
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piotr Wozniacki View Post
Not this year, I'm afraid... But again, it's worth waiting for!
I hope so :)
Old December 10th, 2008, 07:54 PM   #40
Major Player

Hey serious question... When are we going to see our first feature length movie shot with an EX cam? Just so I can brag that I own the same camera would be awesome.

"Yea, that horror movie we just watched, shot on the same camera I own."
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:53 PM   #41
Trustee

I would not be surprised to learn that a number of indie features were shot with EX1 already.

For sure, EX1 was used at least as B camera on many productions.
Old December 10th, 2008, 08:57 PM   #42
Inner Circle

Here's some stuff. Not primarily features but it's in there. "S.N.U.B" Angry Badger Pictures. Behind the scenes stuff for James Bond "Quantum of Solace" so that'll be on DVD I suspect.
http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...7064695918.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
Hey serious question... When are we going to see our first feature length movie shot with an EX cam? Just so I can brag that I own the same camera would be awesome.

"Yea, that horror movie we just watched, shot on the same camera I own."
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:01 PM   #43
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck Spaulding View Post
I purchased the WD HD TV from Best Buys yesterday for $129. ... it would not fast forward or rewind.
You mean you got a WD Media Player, correct?

I don't have that model, but I did purchase Popcorn Hour A-110, and it is just gorgeous :)))

Awesome picture and sound, and yes you can seek forward or back on any video file. I used files off of the external USB drives of different types (although not flash media yet), and streamed over network as well.
Old December 10th, 2008, 09:34 PM   #44
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Here's some stuff. Not primarily features but it's in there. "S.N.U.B" Angry Badger Pictures. Behind the scenes stuff for James Bond "Quantum of Solace" so that'll be on DVD I suspect.
http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...7064695918.pdf

Ha that is great! I hope it's just a matter of time before some high profile movie takes a chance and uses it as a primary camera. I wonder is Panasonic/Canon and the others are kicking themselves for all the attention the EX cams are getting?
Old December 10th, 2008, 10:07 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Docs yes, TV shows maybe but certainly a B camera. "High Profile" Features you're not likely to see less than a Sony F23. RED would be lower budget.

David Lynch's Inland Empire was shot on a Sony PD-150 so it's possible a maverick like him might find the EX convenient and good.

Features are likely going to want the Depth of Field of large chip and lightly or uncompressed codec for compositing and possible very heavy color correction.

Certainly a good "dogma 95" film can be done on an EX and some films of that genre have been big hits. "The Celebration" won at the Cannes Film Festival.

Here's another low budget feature shot on EX1 mentioned on DVInfo sponsor Abelcine
Abel Cine Tech - Shooting an Independent Feature with the Sony EX1
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds