Fujinon XS lens on EX3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 21st, 2008, 03:32 PM   #1
Inner Circle

Fujinon XS lens on EX3

Will the XS lens series autofocus on the EX3? Shooting from the helicopter I would need the XS17x5.5BRM and autofocus. Also wondering about the 13x3.3 and 8x4AS (I know this is not out yet).
Old November 21st, 2008, 06:02 PM   #2
Regular Crew

No, this lens is a manual focus. All 1/2 lens will be manual, the EX 1/2 adapter has no lens port, hence no power for that stuff. For all auto, stock lens must be used. If you us a ACM-21 2/3 adapter with EX you will have auto iris (not sure how accurate) but no auto focus. Or you can add rails and add and focus and iris control using servos, like off a A-Jib.
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 21st, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Shooting from the helicopter I would need the XS17x5.5BRM and autofocus. Also wondering about the 13x3.3
Hi Paul,

If you can get hold of the remote servo controls for either of the the XS lenses, that may help your cause somewhat.

I too might be jumping in a helicopter in the next week or 2. It all started with a 10 min job and as grown just a little to 2 hrs!!!

I may be required to shoot over a number of suburbs at different corners of my magnificent city. Not sure just yet. I have a XS 17.5,5 BRM. It is great and yes, as Jason correctly stated, the XS lens is a manually operated focus lens. Even with the servo unit, you still have to operate the remote by hand. The 13 x XS lens is slightly heavier than the 17x, so unless you can mount and balance the camera, you would probably need to stay as wide as you can to minimise the vibration.

That is, unless you can hire a copter with a Panavision Wescam mount or similar. I may investigate that option too if my job goes ahead.

Best wishes
David Issko
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:02 AM   #4
Regular Crew

The Libec ZC-9EX Remote control will work for your EX for start and stop,-if you go with stock lens- plus they have a extension cable for it. ( Libec | EX230 Extension Cable f/ZC-9PRO | EX230 | B&H Photo Video )
And you can just remove the adapter end with the EX port plug, and use it on a standard broadcast lens and have stop and start. Are you using a nose mount?
Old November 22nd, 2008, 02:38 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason Davenport View Post
All 1/2 lens will be manual, the EX 1/2 adapter has no lens port, hence no power for that stuff.
Not quite correct: The EX series cameras are supplied with a 1/2 adapter that transfers the power and auto iris functions from the EX hot shoe to a standard Sony 1/2" hot shoe, so provided you use a Sony compatible 1/2" lens, Iris and zoom will be powered and will work correctly.

It may be possible to use the Canon VCL-719BXS auto focus lens as this was designed for the F330/F350 1/2" XDCAM HD cameras so has the same bayonet mount and connections but I don't know of anyone that has tested this set up.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Thanks Guys. I currently shoot with the EX1 and we use a custom Aerial Exposure rig modified with six KS-8 gyros. We are able to stay rock solid to 25% zoom. My thought since I have a XDR Flash coming on Monday was to upgrade to the EX3 and use better glass. But auto focus really helps with some of the fast moving stuff we shoot. So the EX3 with stock lens is no upgrade. When not shooting in the machine manual focus is the way to go and some times in the machine but rare.

We currently use the Libec ZC-9EX which is great for zoom on/off.

Alister I will look into the Canon VCL-719BXS lens and see what I can find out.

Also I am sure I could get use to using a Fujinon remote handle with focus set up on my rig. Will also look into this.

Any other thoughts?
Old November 22nd, 2008, 09:54 AM   #7
Inner Circle

Alister looks like the Canon lens might work. It is listed as a option in this Sony PDF.
http://www.sonovideo.com/PDF/xdcam_family_2008.pdf

I also wrote to Canon in NJ checking on compatibility and quality. Will post my findings.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Not quite correct: The EX series cameras are supplied with a 1/2 adapter that transfers the power and auto iris functions from the EX hot shoe to a standard Sony 1/2" hot shoe, so provided you use a Sony compatible 1/2" lens, Iris and zoom will be powered and will work correctly.

It may be possible to use the Canon VCL-719BXS auto focus lens as this was designed for the F330/F350 1/2" XDCAM HD cameras so has the same bayonet mount and connections but I don't know of anyone that has tested this set up.
Very sweet, I had no clue. I just looked at my adapter and there is hot shoes on both ends. Never poped the caps off this thing because I ordered the 2/3 ACM-21. Didn't know the 1/2 lens had the hot shoe electronics in the barrel. Thanks.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 12:27 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Jason what 2/3" lens do you plan on using?
Old November 22nd, 2008, 01:42 PM   #10
Inner Circle

Just received an email back from Phil Baxter of CVP "I believe the VCL-7198XD lens is fully compatible when used with the supplied 1/2" lens mount adaptor." Very nice of Phil to give me a quick response by email. It would be nice to have a store like CVP to visit in my area to check out the Canon VCL but not many carry this lens. If this works and is a high quality image it could help my next camera decision.
Old November 22nd, 2008, 03:46 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Cronin View Post
Jason what 2/3" lens do you plan on using?
I use a Fujinon HA 13X4.5 HD lens on an EX-3, on the jib. Once a week for a show.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 09:37 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Thanks Jason. Very nice lens.
Old November 23rd, 2008, 10:50 AM   #13
Inner Circle

The VCL719 can be picked up pretty cheaply compared to most other new HD lenses. While the servo style may not be to everyones taste the pictures the VCL719 produces are pretty good.

I've used all sorts of lenses from Canon 44x HD zooms to my own Canon KH20x6.4 and all have produced good results.

SIX KS-8's! I bet that's rock solid. Not exactly light weight though!
Old November 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Thanks Alister I am very close to upgrading to the EX3 so I have loads of lens options. I agree the price on the VCL719 is lower then most other 1/2" HD lens. Time to go and compare to the stock lens with VCL and a few Fujinon options. Just trying to bring the most out of the XDR Flash.

Ah yes six KS-8's with the weight of the rig without camera is 95 lbs. The whole unit is mounted in the machine and I sit next to it. The last three producers were shocked at the stability we can achieve. It helps to have 4 years using the unit and doing the modifications all with the same pilot. We are looking at two KS-12's and two KS-8's which is 4 times the stability due to mass x velocity an the 12's are HUGE and 28 volts.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds