EX1 Noise In The Shadows? - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 28th, 2008, 10:00 AM   #31

Peter...

hope this helps your understanding:
http://www.adobe.com/products/photos...near_gamma.pdf
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:04 PM   #32
Inner Circle

With the very close relationship between the EX's cinegammas and Sony's Hypergammas it might be worth taking a look at Sony's guide to Hypergammas. The curves are very similar.

Sony : Digital Cinematography with Hypergamma : United Kingdom
Old November 28th, 2008, 04:46 PM   #33
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
With the very close relationship between the EX's cinegammas and Sony's Hypergammas it might be worth taking a look at Sony's guide to Hypergammas. The curves are very similar.

Sony : Digital Cinematography with Hypergamma : United Kingdom

Do you know how close they actually are to the hypergammas?
Looking at the hypergammas there are only two kinds, for high contrast and for low light with a broadcast safe version and a full dynamic range version of each. The cinegammas don't seem to be like that at all. I have read the article you linked to before, but without knowing how close they are and which cinegamma correspond to which hypergamma its difficult to apply any of that to the EX1.
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 09:04 AM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Maier View Post
I’m assuming the aperture was the same for all gammas right.
Of course.
Quote:
Because to my eyes, Cine4 doesn’t really look as bright as std3 in those pictures.
Yes. The shadows are very similar. But the hightlights are brighter. Actually clipping-bright. ;)
Quote:
Also, looking at your samples, I don’t see why Adam Wilt called cine3 “brighter cine” since cine3 seem to have darker shadows than cine1.
The shadows of cine3 are darker, but the mids and highlights are brighter. So integrated over the whole range cine3 is brighter.
Quote:
But yes, it doesn’t “produce” noise which is not there, but what I obviously meant was which gamma produces the cleanest image with the least visible noise?
Cine3 is the best for low shadow-noise, because it has the darkest shadows of all gammas.
But when I'm talking about that the SNR doesn't change, I try to explain, that the actually captured information is the same. So you can change the gamma in post without (significant) loss.
Quote:
That would only mean that when exposing to high lights using the stds without knee you would capture less info in the shadows because they would be underexposed. It would not necessarily mean the shadows would be noisy.
In terms of SNR the shadows will be more noisy. You can think about std3 without knee is similar to cine1 with 3db extra-gain.
Quote:
If using for example std2 which crushes the blacks you shouldn’t see much noise.
Yes, but you're not only loosing noise but also picture-information. I don't want to loose picture-information, because that's irreversible. You can't undo that in post.
Quote:
I’m talking about dynamic range and or latitude or how many stops of info can be recorded and you are talking about something else ;)
I'm talking about SNR, because dynamic-range/lattitude deduces straight from maximal SNR.
Quote:
How does that explain why you recommend Cine4 for high contrast but use Cine1?
Because the SNR is the same for all cine-gammas, you're capturing almost the same information with each of them. So it's just a matter of taste, whether you want to approximate the final look in the camera or to shoot more linearly done with cine1.
Quote:
So what you meant by “and take noise” is that the cine gammas show less noise?
If you switch from a cine-gamma to a std-gamma without changing the exposure, then the shadow-signal-to-noise-ratio doesn't change (because the amount of light falling onto the sensor stays the same).
-But the clipping point gets lower (because of the std-without-knee-3db-extra-gain-thing), so you're loosing highlight-information.
-When compensating for that by lowering the exposure, the SNR drops.
Choose your favourite.
Quote:
By the way, you totally bypassed my reply about gamma having an effect on low light and the F900R having a hypergamma preset for low light while you said it wasn’t related to gamma. Mind commenting on that?
I commented on that. Look for the word "heuristic" in my last post. ;)
Yes, it makes sense to say that low-light-situations often are low-contrast-situations. So it makes sense to use cine1 on that, because cine1 the has strongest overall-contrast of all cine-gammas.
Dominik Seibold is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds