naming sxs cards on Mac at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 25th, 2008, 11:36 AM   #1
Regular Crew

naming sxs cards on Mac

How are people naming sxs cards permanently on Mac? If I name the card in Finder, Clip Browser or XDCAM Transfer, the name always reverts to Untitled after next use...
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:38 AM   #2
Regular Crew

on camera

I nerver rename or modifie the cards in my mac, I am doing it with the camera and no problems.
Old November 25th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Where is card-naming in camera menu?
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:15 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not sure, I have to check. In fact I name my cards once, i change the clip names in the clip menu (at the beginning of a new shooting) and i let increase the clips number so no overwriting or confusion is possible in my mac.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:45 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Mark I just name the card on my desktop on my Mac and it never changes. All the cards have been in and out of the camera dozens of times and in Clip Browser and Transfer and they never change.

I always erase all clips on the camera.
Old November 25th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #6
New Boot

changing the icon name on MAC

Hi Mark. Left click on the icon for the SXS card. Go to "Get Info" In the "name and extension" area type the desired name. Hit return. That should change the name of the icon. You can also highlight the icon and hit return. That should allow you to change the name of the icon. I hope this helps.
Of course, if you reformat the card then all info is erased.
Rob Fiedler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:34 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Cheers - I reformat the card every time it goes in the cam, to ensure wiping of media - hadn't sussed that was wiping the name as well...
Old November 25th, 2008, 01:36 PM   #8
Inner Circle

That is the reason Mark I only delete all clips and that keeps the formating and name.
Old November 25th, 2008, 02:14 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Slocombe View Post
Where is card-naming in camera menu?
In the EX3 it is in the OTHERS menu. As you know you have 4 letters to choose from as a name and then 4 numbers. I usually set my SxS to the job name with 0001 as the first clip and then the camera does the rest. Very basic. I just realised that was not what you asked. OOPS, sorry. My SxS cards are still untitled.
Old November 26th, 2008, 11:48 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Slocombe View Post
Cheers - I reformat the card every time it goes in the cam, to ensure wiping of media - hadn't sussed that was wiping the name as well...
Mark, it is not bad practise to reformat a medium after each use - the map of good and bad sectors is rewritten preventing record failures. If you do so, any newly formatted medium (HD, card, etc) shows up on the Mac's finder (desktop) - without name. Now give the card its name and you're set. You may give the card also its name in the Mac's formatting utility see applications folder > utilities > ...
It is ok, too, just to delete the old files on the SxS card after having transfered them to a local hard disk.

Your choice. P.
I have no EX at hand,so I can't tell you right now, if you have to follow certain naming conventions so that your camera recognizes your Mac-formatted card without probs. Anyone?
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds