Soft Focus at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 26th, 2008, 11:21 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Soft Focus

After using my EX1 in 23 weddings since January it is very clear to me that the focus is soft, whether the ND filters are engaged or not. I calibrated the lens once and I thought that helped a lot. However it seemed to gradually become softer again. I recently calibtrated again, with good results again. I have also found that I must use a small amount of sharpening to achieve a decent look. I have achieved spectacular results at times but many shots are just too soft for me. I have the oldest firmware and as my camera is now almost a year old and has lost paint over several places I msut decide soon whether to send it in to Sony. I can not be without the camera for too long and I have not heard good reports about Sony service. My question is: Will a firmware update help and can I do it myself?

Thanks,

Mervin
Mervin Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2008, 06:05 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I think you should send your camera for repair. I get perfect results under almost all conditions. But I avoid

- iris values higher than 8
- iris values other than 8 with max telephoto

When I had the camera sent in for firmware update and battery drain issue, I also wanted the poor resolution with max telephoto fixed. No change, unfortunatly. Maybe I have to do it again?
Sverker Hahn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 29th, 2008, 11:51 PM   #3
New Boot

Sony Service

I suggest you send the camera in to Sony service. On early models there was a common backfocus issue. One time when I called sony service the man I was talking to said, "Oh, focus problem?" as soon as I said I have an ex1. I think that indicates they've fixed a good number of focus problems.

The time required for service seems to depend on parts availability - at least in my experience. I wouldn't expect they would need to order parts to fix a focus problem, but then of course I'm not a camera technician...

By the by, I've never experienced any focus issues on my ex1 - it is sharp all throughout the zoom range of the lens and although aperature settings do effect the image (in addition to DOF, etc... every lens has an aperature setting where it will achieve maximum resolution) I don't have any settings that I must stay away from.
Arvin Berner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds