Component Output 10 bit? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old November 27th, 2008, 02:28 PM   #1
Major Player

Component Output 10 bit?

I'm trying to run a 500ft cable out of the EX1 and into an Avid MC DNxHD board. A 500ft run is easily achieved via component output (w/ Ethernet cable) than HD-SDI (limited to 250 ft I believe). Does anyone know if this is 10 bit like the HD-SDI output?

Also, will it output 24PsF like the HD-SDI (menu setting)?

Thanks,
-C
Christopher Drews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 28th, 2008, 01:17 PM   #2
Major Player

Yes, according to tests done, it is true 10-bit.

As far as 24PsF, you need to have firmware version 1.11 I believe.
Old November 30th, 2008, 10:30 AM   #3
New Boot

There is no such thing as a 10 bits component output. The component output is by definition an analog output so bit quantization doesn't mean anything here. However, it seems that the component signal is made at the exact same stage of processing than the HD-SDI, hence the quality of the signal if digitized in HD 4:2:2 10bits should closely match the one sent over the HD-SDI output. It is a known fact now that this signal is real 10 bits 4:2:2.
Forest Finbow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 30th, 2008, 11:08 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Dear Christopher,

You may be able to achieve 500' with HD-SDI, with a very high quality HD-SDI cable and true 75 Ohm BNC connectors.

At a mininum, I would use Canare L-4CFB cable and their True 75 Ohm BNC connectors.

You will need a single cable, not a series of cables connected together.

Use of standard BNC cables, with their 50 Ohm BNC connectors will not work at this length.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds