Calibrated{Q} XD codec to view XCAM and HDV files on Mac and PC - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old February 4th, 2009, 01:46 PM   #16

Hi Greg..

I was trying to read an XDCAM EX file, re-wrapped with the Sony Clipbrowser to .mxf on the PC. Apparently this isn't an acceptable format? As a PC user, how would I get an XDCAM HD or XDCAM EX file in .mov format? And, unless an editor on a Mac based system was trying to export an mov to a PC, why would I want to? In that case, why couldn't I just use a cross platform codec like DNxHD, Sheer, or Cineform?

So, the basis of the Calibrated codec is to allow a PC to recognize an XDCAM HD or EX that was captured on a Mac?
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 02:22 PM   #17
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,

For MXF files to be opened by QuickTime Player on Windows, you need to install both the Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for Windows and the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode codec for Windows. This then will let QuickTime Player playback XDCAM HD MXF files - although XDCAM EX MXF files have not been specifically tried out yet - if they dont work please let me know.

As for the Calibrated{Q} XD Decode codec -it is a cross-platform codec as well - for Windows or Mac computers without FCP installed. And yes the current workflow is with XDCAM HD, XDCAM EX, and HDV wrapped .MOV files generated by FCP but there are other products on the horizon that capture/work with XDCAM HD .MOV wrapped files (the Flash XDR from Convergent Design being one).

As for a workflow preference - people that do use the codec use FCP to edit but have a Windows computer with AE (or Mac Computer with only Shake or AE without FCP installed) for composting somewhere in their workflow and instead of re-rendering or re-wrapping - they just put the files on a shared storage drive and use the Calibrated{Q} Decode codec to open the files in AE (or other apps). Others have clients that want to see the files in their original quality (thus no H264 QuickTime Movies) and so they get the codec for their clients computers to view material easily in QuickTime player.

But as with any workflow - it's just one option of many...

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software
Greg Booth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 03:51 PM   #18
Inner Circle

You can export from FCP back to MP4 and the client can then handle in Sony Clip Browser on their system for Avid use. Alternately it can be converted to MXF file as would be generated by XDCAM HD.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Craig that is good to know. But my client does not want .mxf for some reason. They requested DNxHD so that is what they will get and I hope it works.

Thanks for your link that will work for other clients on Avid.

Last edited by Paul Cronin; February 4th, 2009 at 06:32 PM.
Paul Cronin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 4th, 2009, 06:40 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,

If you want - you can always email info@calibratedsoftware.com so I can give you our ftp account information if you want to upload any specific MXF for me to look at for support in Calibrated{Q} MXF Import and I'll also add XDCAM EX MXF file support to the feature list for the next release - since currently only XDCAM HD MXF files had been verified and tested.

Cheers,
Greg

Calibrated Software
Old February 11th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #21
Regular Crew

Hi Bill,

I just posted a new v1.6.4 build of Calibrated{Q} MXF Import for Mac and Windows that should allow you to open XDCAM EX MXF files created in Sony's Clip Browser. If that version still does not work for you just email your MP4 file specs and what MXF conversion settings in Clip Browser you are using to info@calibratedsoftware.com .

Cheers,
Greg
Old November 14th, 2011, 01:56 AM   #22
Major Player

Re: Calibrated{Q} XD codec to view XCAM and HDV files on Mac and PC

I know this is an old post but geesh! I find it ludicrous this now sells for $150. I noticed on another forum post from a year or two ago and there they mentioned it was $80-ish. Has it seriously gone up nearly 50% since then?
Bill Busby is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds