Follow Focus for the EX1? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 11th, 2008, 07:18 AM   #1
Major Player

Follow Focus for the EX1?

I'm in the market for a follow focus system. Just bought an EX1.

I am totally new to a follow focus system. I need the rods as well. Am looking at RedRock Micro FF kit (US$ 895,-) and the Zacuto FF (US$1100 without rods. Is this an unpractical website or is it just me...)

There are others of course like Chrosziel, Century Precision.

I'm on a budget and therefore very interested in the RedRock but curious as to your experiences.

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 07:35 AM   #2

yeah, it's really difficult to navigate around on the zacuto website. B&H carries zacuto hardware and is much easier to figure out. ;o)
I have the Redrock FF and it's OK. The zacuto design looks a little more stout. The Redrock design support bracket is a bit flexible when the focus ring is sticky.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 02:03 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Hi Jeroen!

I went for the Petroff mini FF economy, I reccommend it 100%!

<http://www.petroff.ws/Picture%20Archive/Follow%20focus/MFF-02.JPG>

Magnus
Magnus Eklof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 11th, 2008, 03:20 PM   #4
Major Player

Package.

Are you going for rails and a matte box too or do you have those? What's the total budget?

Jus.
Justin Benn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 12:09 AM   #5
Trustee

Indifocus I've heard makes the cheapest stuff that's still decent. IndiSYSTEM - Studio 4 Productions

Cinevate just release their new follow focus a couple of days ago: http://www.cinevate.com

Personally, I'd go with the Zacuto, but it ain't cheap: http://www.zacuto.com/

(is it okay to post links on this site? I can't remember)
Old December 12th, 2008, 03:58 AM   #6
Trustee

Arri have a complete package for the EX1/3.
AbelCineTech have the Arri MMB-1 kit for $3,500. That's mattebox, FF gear, rods and camera plate.

I know that's not exactly cheap.... until you compare it to anything else Arri make.
The mattebox does look very well engineered to deal with the difficulties posed by the EX cameras as the filters are inserted through the side of the mattebox.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 05:47 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I personally think that $3500 is an insane amount of money for a follow focus/matte box system even for an F350, never mind the EX1, unless perhaps you were a rental house. I'd rather spend that kind of money on a Rolex or on the new Canon 5D Mark II digital SLR (20 mega pix + it also shoots HD video) and still have enough left over for a good lens.

It seems to me these companies are capitalizing on the whole cinematography mystique. In the end, follow focus systems are just simple mechanical devices.

While searching ebay, I found some interesting alternatives notably from India and the Czech Republic for a fraction of the price.
Old December 13th, 2008, 06:40 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalunga Lima View Post

While searching ebay, I found some interesting alternatives notably from India and the Czech Republic for a fraction of the price.
Hi there,

Is there any chances sharing the details, especially if it was available from the Czech Republic? Thanks,
Old December 14th, 2008, 05:11 AM   #9
Regular Crew

I found the Czech source while searching for "follow focus systems" on Ebay, where they are listed as a power seller "jbkfilm". You can also look them up at jbkcinequipt dot com

I haven't ordered anything from them yet (will shortly), so I can't vouch for their products and in no manner am I endorsing them.

best of luck
Old December 14th, 2008, 06:23 AM   #10
Inner Circle

Why not Redrock micro? For much less money, a rail/mattebox/follow focus can be bought from them, and the build quality - functionality is superb indeed!
Old December 14th, 2008, 09:39 AM   #11
Major Player

Figures like 3500 are way out of my league... I want a FF mainly to be able to focus better/smoother. Focus was wildly off on a few shots during my first shoot (didn't get a chance to practice...) but it's getting much better on my second day of working with the EX1. I come from a Z1 and this is different stuff. Obviously much more critical.
I like the Zacuto rails because you can hang everything off them and they even work like a type of shouldersupport. It's Meccano time all over again!
Maybe get the rails from Zacuto and the FF from Redrock. Or just forego the FF altogether and learn to focus properly with the EX1 (lol).
I've been looking at the Cine India ebay seller as well. Seems like proper stuff... Anyone use their FF?
@ Justin: I like the look of the Mattebox but don't see myself using it much. (what's with the big insect entering the room...? Better to keep a somewhat low profile...) Besides, budget is between 800-1200.

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 12:00 PM   #12
Regular Crew

i would suggest the Cinevate rails and their new follow focus. I use their proteus rails and like them a lot, Visit Philip Bloom's website for more information. Cinevate just released a new follow focus and it looks very good. Total cost for these two items would be around $1300. I use the RR matt box which is just wonderful, but I think Cinevate have a better rail and follow focus system
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 14th, 2008, 03:21 PM   #13
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Figures like 3500 are way out of my league... I want a FF mainly to be able to focus better/smoother. Focus was wildly off on a few shots during my first shoot (didn't get a chance to practice...) but it's getting much better on my second day of working with the EX1. I come from a Z1 and this is different stuff. Obviously much more critical.
I like the Zacuto rails because you can hang everything off them and they even work like a type of shouldersupport. It's Meccano time all over again!
Maybe get the rails from Zacuto and the FF from Redrock. Or just forego the FF altogether and learn to focus properly with the EX1 (lol).
I've been looking at the Cine India ebay seller as well. Seems like proper stuff... Anyone use their FF?
@ Justin: I like the look of the Mattebox but don't see myself using it much. (what's with the big insect entering the room...? Better to keep a somewhat low profile...) Besides, budget is between 800-1200.

Jeroen
We've got a lot of the Zacuto kit, enough to truly say we have a big boys Meccano set. If $3,500 is out of your league be warned, we've spent around that on Zacuto hardware for our EX cameras and that's without a matte box and FF gear.

FF gear is unlikely to solve your focussing problems unless you can mark out the distance to what you want to focus on. FF gear is designed to be used by a focus puller, not the camera operator.
Bob Grant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:06 AM   #14
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Grant View Post
We've got a lot of the Zacuto kit, enough to truly say we have a big boys Meccano set. If $3,500 is out of your league be warned, we've spent around that on Zacuto hardware for our EX cameras and that's without a matte box and FF gear.

FF gear is unlikely to solve your focussing problems unless you can mark out the distance to what you want to focus on. FF gear is designed to be used by a focus puller, not the camera operator.
An experienced cameraman told me it really helps his focusing. Nonetheless, the more I research this thing, the less I am convinced it's worth the money for what I want to use it for... I've actually become more interested in the rails because it will allow me to easily attach stuff like wireless receivers and lights...
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds