MxR Expresscard/SDHC replacement for SxS site now open - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 12th, 2008, 03:42 PM   #16
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Thanks Ross, ordering was painless. Do you have an idea how long it will take for me to get the 2 cards to California? Thx.
Looking forward to a proper test/review of the card as soon as somebody gets one. Also - it would be interesting to hear what endurence tests Ross has done and for how long he has been running the card without errors. Don't want to order before I know that this actually is THE solution.

Great initiative!!!
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:12 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I will be a BETA tester...

Just ordered 4...
I hope I get it by xMas?

Thanks,
Ross
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 04:30 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hope our troubles are over. Ordered 2. Thanks Ross.
Mark Krichever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:00 PM   #19
Sponsor: eFilms (MxR)

Hi Pete,

We shoot in PAL down here in Australia (the country, not the movie), so we get 1080-25p not 1080-24p in our menu options. And it works fine with 1080-25p. But we will do some testing for completeness using NTSC today sometime.

One of the tests to see how much headroom an Expresscard reader/SDHC card has is to overcrank it as the amount of data being written in overcrank is higher than any of the standard data rates. If it works in overcrank, then it will hose it in for standard work.

When I was testing the Lexar SSD card it ran fine for SP mode, but it would throw a wobbly, when I went to HQ. So it has a pretty low data write rate compared to SDHC.
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:15 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leonard Levy View Post
Do you need the updated firmware v1.1 for this or this that only for the 32G cards and the PHU whatever hard drive?
Hi Leonard,

Yes you definitely need the 1.11 update for the EX1.

I asked my Sony service centre to update the firmware and they told me it was going to cost AU$100, to do it. I mentioned that I was having some trouble with the audio, and he immediately said, well in that case we need to do the update under warranty.

I have heard elsewhere, that there are two fixes in the firmware update, one for audio, the other for people having problems with the Firewire port losing contact with a computer. Either qualifies, (or well at least did qualify) for a free update of firmware.

He did the update while I went and had a cup of coffee, he says it takes about 15min, but they like to check the camera before they hand it back.

Which reminds me, I must send him a Christmas card!
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:20 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Hollister View Post
Congrats on getting this launched.

One note, in your video at 1:01 (inserting the adapter/card combo into the EX) the label appears upside down. Is that the actual label shipping on your unit, it looks like it might be temporary and peel off?

.......a
Hi Andrew,

Quite right, we had finished the Artwork, (which is much prettier) but not got the labels back when we shot the video, so I had to print that one up. I couldn't believe I got the label upside down. Must be because we are downunder!
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:26 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Rhodes View Post
Ross you may want to put a Disclaimer statment on your site or ship with the card. We are not responsible for any lost data etc..etc
Hi Brian,

Good point. I pass that along to our web content people. Say,... that's me! I better get on to it.

Thanks Brian
Old December 12th, 2008, 05:37 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Thanks Ross, ordering was painless. Do you have an idea how long it will take for me to get the 2 cards to California? Thx.
Hi Keith, the Express Courier usually takes 2-4 days. My real life experience with them, is that when I've sent packages to the US, and Europe, it's been 2-3 days at most. But never anymore than 4, and that was to Cebu in the Philippines, when I had to send DVD's to a client.

Mail at this time of the year is a little slower, but the product we are using is like a Premium version of Airmail, so it will get there in the 3-7 day range, although they quote 3-10. I've sent DVD's to London, Paris and Prague by airmail and they all got there in under 4 days. But as I say this time of the year...
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:16 PM   #24
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross Herewini View Post
Hi Keith, the Express Courier usually takes 2-4 days. My real life experience with them, is that when I've sent packages to the US, and Europe, it's been 2-3 days at most. But never anymore than 4, and that was to Cebu in the Philippines, when I had to send DVD's to a client.

Mail at this time of the year is a little slower, but the product we are using is like a Premium version of Airmail, so it will get there in the 3-7 day range, although they quote 3-10. I've sent DVD's to London, Paris and Prague by airmail and they all got there in under 4 days. But as I say this time of the year...
Thanks Ross, I used the slower option, so probably will be New Years time. That's ok, it will be nice to not have to chop cards or have the cards sticking out.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 06:27 PM   #25
Inner Circle

Do any of these ExpressCards work in the Sony USB ExpressCard reader? So far, the Kensington and some generic ExpressCard adapters from Hong Kong don't register in the reader. I was hoping that the SDHC card could always stay in the ExpressCard adapter.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 12th, 2008, 07:07 PM   #26
Major Player

No they dont, due to the fact the current expresscard adapters are all using the USB spec and the Sony card reader, (like SxS cards) is using the PCI express spec..

bring on PCI expresscard adapters i say, i really want to be able to use them with my Sony Card reader.. i need faster transfer speeds!
Joe Lawry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:20 AM   #27
Major Player

Hi Ross,

Congrats on your new business and for potentially making a lot of camerapeople happy, including myself! But the reader is still somewhat 'beta' as you acknowledge yourself.

What kind of policy do you have concerning warranty?

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 07:39 AM   #28
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeroen Wolf View Post
Hi Ross,

What kind of policy do you have concerning warranty?

Jeroen
Give Ross a break!
He came up with "work around tool" to save everybody some serious $$...
Why being finicky and ask about warranty? It's all there on the site.
This is kind of device (I am sure) not better or worse than any other Kensington or Delkin or... I would assume that if if you order it and it's not working out of the box, Ross would be willing to replace it. But asking for any other warranty for electronic device like this is just "chocking the guy who tried to help"... Come on! It's $35.00. Just couple of Starsucks coffees. Right?
I initially wanted 2. But, I ordered 4. I have 4 Ultra II now in Kensigton adapters. When Ross delivers, I will be able to close the door on my EX1. End of story. If one breaks while in use, I will spend another $35+shipping to get replacement. I will not ask for warranty replacement, because the price of the adapter pays off after only one day of using it on assignment (daily rental of SxS 16GB is $20-40, here in Toronto).
Get it?
Steven S. Miric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2008, 08:35 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Congrats Ross !

Before I order, please somebody explain to me the difference between the SDHC cards as specied for this Expresscard adapter, and the Compact Flash as used by the FlashXDR / NanoFlash recorders (like the 133X 32GB Transcend CF card). Sorry for this naive question; waiting patiently for the NanoFlash to be available, I didn't follow the other EX users reports on their great effort to device a cheaper alternative to the SxS card...

Even though I didn't follow the discussion (not to mention participating in it), I really appreciate the effort and cost of those of you who tried so many solutions, and Ross taking it in his own hands, and delivering what appears to be a perfect solution.

I suspect the SDHC and CF are totally different, but still would appreciate somebody confirming that, and explaining the difference in layman's terms. Because obviously, in the ideal world it'd be great to only have to buy and store one type of memory, for both MxR and NanoFlash recording. TIA!
Old December 13th, 2008, 09:19 AM   #30
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven S. Miric View Post
Give Ross a break!
He came up with "work around tool" to save everybody some serious $$...
Why being finicky and ask about warranty? It's all there on the site.
This is kind of device (I am sure) not better or worse than any other Kensington or Delkin or... I would assume that if if you order it and it's not working out of the box, Ross would be willing to replace it. But asking for any other warranty for electronic device like this is just "chocking the guy who tried to help"... Come on! It's $35.00. Just couple of Starsucks coffees. Right?
I initially wanted 2. But, I ordered 4. I have 4 Ultra II now in Kensigton adapters. When Ross delivers, I will be able to close the door on my EX1. End of story. If one breaks while in use, I will spend another $35+shipping to get replacement. I will not ask for warranty replacement, because the price of the adapter pays off after only one day of using it on assignment (daily rental of SxS 16GB is $20-40, here in Toronto).
Get it?
What is the address of your law office? :-)
I guess people are entitled to ask questions even if you found them irrelevant from your point of view. And by the way, questions were addressed to Ross (if I am not mistaken).
I highly appreciate Ross’s efforts to help our community and yet I think it is appropriate to ask him about his return policy instead of speculating on his behave.
During last month I have returned about 5 Delkin cards from total of 10 bought. The main problem with all those cards is reliability of their miniature contacts. If those contacts have not been properly designed and carefully manufactured per design spec unit will fail. Believe me I know what I am talking about. And I guess you know what does it mean - failure in the field.
Mark Krichever is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds