B&H and EX1 for $6099 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 15th, 2008, 11:15 PM   #16
Major Player

ex5 single full frame (35mm) sensor, 4.2.2.? :)
Erik Phairas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:12 AM   #17
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Woo View Post
Expandore Singapore is selling EX1 at $6000. With standard accessories and 1 8G card
John, thanks a lot. Good news :-)

P.
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 03:32 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik Phairas View Post
ex5 single full frame (35mm) sensor, 4.2.2.? :)
For 3D stereoscopic capturing ;-)
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 16th, 2008, 07:49 PM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Kraft View Post
For 3D stereoscopic capturing ;-)
You don't think Sony will try and make a Red killer out of the Ex5? Seems like a smart and relatively easy thing to do. Take an Ex3, replace the sensor block with a single 35mm sensor, maybe out of one of their DSLRs. Then figure out how to get the bandwidth needed for 4.2.2. color space and boom.. Red what? Sorry I have an Ex5.

:)
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:03 PM   #20
Inner Circle

Just like that eh Erik?

And how do you plan to store those new 35mm sized images? In XDCam 4:2:0? Or do you change the codec structure to make the EX5 incompatible with the rest of everthing else Sony makes? Or maybe they write HDCamSR like the F900R? But now you'll need two SDI ports to get it off the camera. That 32GB SxS card on board should hold about 3 minutes of data! Awesome! :)
Old December 16th, 2008, 08:07 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perrone Ford View Post
Just like that eh Erik?

And how do you plan to store those new 35mm sized images? In XDCam 4:2:0? Or do you change the codec structure to make the EX5 incompatible with the rest of everthing else Sony makes? Or maybe they write HDCamSR like the F900R? But now you'll need two SDI ports to get it off the camera. That 32GB SxS card on board should hold about 3 minutes of data! Awesome! :)
It's Sony..they build it and expect us to find a way to use it... LOL
Old December 16th, 2008, 10:24 PM   #22
Inner Circle

I think a RED killer would be a different product line.

I was thinking the EX5 might be a true shoulder mount and/or if they get pull off the technical side of it a 2/3" chip. Maybe as the 700 is to XDCAM disc the EX5 is sort of an SxS equivalent giving the someone to buy into one or the other workflow.

Uh Oh, I think a hear Chris Hurd's footsteps and the Area 51 teleporter.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:15 AM   #23
Major Player

Just seems to me that the single chip 35mm sensor cameras are the next wave. the "small chip" 3 RGB cameras will never give the film like depth of field that apparently everybody wants. With all the 35mm DSLRs starting to take really good HD video and the buzz created by the REDs..

Maybe there won't be an EX5. Just skip right over and make the XF35 or whatever.
Old December 17th, 2008, 01:57 AM   #24
Major Player

NY is going down in price, Amsterdam's going up... Here in Holland prices for the EX series have gone up since December 1 by 7%

Jeroen
Jeroen Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 02:12 AM   #25
Inner Circle

to be a RED killer, you do not need to be better.
just giving the same "feature and useability" for less money.
most of people are happy with 4:2:0 and full HD, just push the bandwith to 50Mb/s (SxS will accept that), make the camera way cheaper than any RED, add some nice feature like some nice cheap storage solution (128gig SSD ?) and excellent optics , offer a simple and easy workflow , put a SONY logo on it.
in brief would be a kind of EX3 on testosterone....
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2008, 05:13 AM   #26
Inner Circle

Happy with 4.2.0?
Old December 17th, 2008, 08:08 AM   #27
Inner Circle

How would Sony bring out such an EX5 Red-Killer, and expect people to still pay 100k for a F-900 or an F35?
The reason why Red can bring out such disruptive technology is because they have no boundaries. They are a little company, with a small (but hard working) team, that only want to make the best possible camera's at the best possible prices.
They don't have a high-end market to protect. Sony does.
Mathieu Ghekiere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 03:50 PM   #28
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathieu Ghekiere View Post
How would Sony bring out such an EX5 Red-Killer, and expect people to still pay 100k for a F-900 or an F35?
The reason why Red can bring out such disruptive technology is because they have no boundaries. They are a little company, with a small (but hard working) team, that only want to make the best possible camera's at the best possible prices.
They don't have a high-end market to protect. Sony does.
Very true, but if they don't. Eventually even the "big guys" won't buy them.
I'm sure RED has sparked many companies into competition. This is always good for the end user.

Look what's happened with LCD and plasma... really inexpensive for good quality.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2008, 04:13 PM   #29
Inner Circle

To add to what Steven just posted, one could argue that the EX1 and especially the EX3 shouldn't have happened because it would eat into F335/F355 sales.

Sony's SxS eats into the sales of P2 cameras.

It certainly does make sense (probably inevitable) that they'll be something like an EX5. I think it'll be aimed at the higher end P2 cameras though. Sony probably needs a shoulder mount SxS camera for that.

Sony's approach to RED may be different (a different product line entirely) but I wouldn't be surprised if that's on a drawing board already. It'll be interesting to see if Sony enters that market and how they'll differentiate themselves. It may well be the codec just as part of the SxS vs P2 is XDCAM Long GOP vs DVCProHD.

Is somebody on a RED budget really competing with an F35? I don't think so.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 01:41 AM   #30
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
And I wouldn't be surprised if we see an EX-5 at NAB 2009 but I doubt it would be a replacement for 1 or 3. I think product development may slow given the economy (depending on how long that lasts). I don't think we'll see replacement for EX-1 until NAB 2010 and it could be even longer.

Look at how long the HVX200 was around before even a 200a hit the market.
Is EX1 still in production? I thought EX3 was supposed to be a replacement model. EX3 is so new, I wonder if EX5 at NAB09 is realistic. It's not like the consumer market where somehow you're expected to make a new model every year.
Jeff DeMaagd is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds