SDHC transfer question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 19th, 2008, 10:36 PM   #1
Regular Crew

SDHC transfer question

My concern about using the SD cards was that the transfer time seemed really slow.
Just going from PC laptop to portable HD FYI.

Test one using Ultra II 16 gig SD in K adpt.and put in express slot transferred with Clip Browser time: 48 min. normally 24min

2. SD card, no adapter in SD slot on computer/clip browser to HD even longer, stopped it after 50min..

3. Now I just tried a full 16g SD in K to express slot, by just going to "Computer-HD-new folder-drag BVAP folder to new folder. 14minutes!!

Is it just the clip browser governing the transfer speed somehow?
Also how can I monitor for error checking that clip browser does, without it. Do need to get Shotput? Or will it do the same as using clip browser, slowing me down?
Jason Davenport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I haven't tried SDHC yet but on my MacBookPro, SxS to Express slot to internal hard drive using ClipBrowser 2 with CRC on is about 20 minutes for a 16GB card. That certainly jives with your "normally 24 minutes." Turning off CRC checking would be faster but I haven't checked the speed on that.

SD on your PC laptop is that a built in SD/SDHC card reader? That doesn't exist on MacBookPro.

I'm not too surprised that SDHC of any input method is slower than SxS.

Given the number of MxS SDHC cards I'm likely to carry on a shoot and the decreased need to transfer during the shoot and/or the decreased need for a fast transfer since I can have multiple cards ready to go, I'm not too worried.

It certainly would be good if we all did some speed tests though.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:37 PM   #3
Major Player

Here's a link to some of the transfer speed tests I performed here a week or two ago:

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/972067-post5.html
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:54 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Thanks for that Dave. Those numbers look similar to what I've seen.

Let's see how MxS with SDHC compares. Some of the folks in Australia should be getting their's by the end of next week. I'll probably see mine in the first couple of days of the New Year (or maybe last week of December). It may well get here before my Sony gets done with my EX1 (firmware update and a couple of the usual issues).
Old December 19th, 2008, 11:58 PM   #5
Major Player

Bear in mind those tests were performed with the standard SxS cards, but I think the different transfer options (CRC checking, etc.) should have the same impact on the transfers regardless of the media.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:06 AM   #6
Inner Circle

I do think SDHC will transfer more slowly but at the same ratios. Jason's test seems to indicate that SDHC with Sandisk Ultra II 16GB is twice as slow through Express card slot with Clip Browser (apparently CRC on). 48 vs 24 minutes.

He got 14 minutes with drag and drop method. which seems three times as slow (interesting). 4:50 vs 14 minutes.

Us Mac users can't test the SD direct since Macs don't have built in card readers other than Express.
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:25 AM   #7
Regular Crew

Should I be expecting errors at some point using drag and drop. That's my main question.
Also have you heard that its bad to let a card fill to the brim and stop. Or leave a few extra minutes at end?
Old December 20th, 2008, 02:22 AM   #8
Inner Circle

Actually the full card leaves some space. It uses about 14GB and change. There's no reason NOT to fill up the card.

CRC checking in ClipBrowser is there for a reason. These are your camera masters. IMHO drag and drop is an unnecessary risk. CRC checking is like wearing seat belts. You may only get in one major car accident in a lifetime but it could be your last if you're not wearing your seat belts. I see NO REASON why to take a risk. You can transfer the card with ClipBrowser and CRC long before the next card is filled.

Shotput can also perform this check BTW.

I wish people wouldn't spread unfounded information. If people can site technical information from reliable sources that's one thing but "hearing" something that has no technical basis is simply poor form IMHO.
Old December 20th, 2008, 05:15 AM   #9
Inner Circle

try supercopier SourceForge.net: Supercopier
Giroud Francois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2008, 12:23 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Quote:
Here's a link to some of the transfer speed tests I performed here a week or two ago
Those are SxS and we're talking about SDHC.

Well, I understand the need for CRC and would prefer to use it. But when I shoot, my clients are usually there and need a fast offload so they can take the footage with them on a hard drive. And 40min though Clip browser is unacceptable for 16g SD. I don't have that sort of time, and don't want to just had them cards and say here, you do it. And I don't shoot for myself to just take home the cards and spend 4 hours dumping cards.

Question is how can I get a fast download with SDHC and have CRC as well? Will Shotput give me the same results as ClipBrowser-the 40mins..

Or am I stuck do to the SD cards 15mbs rate, no matter what I do (with CRC)
Old December 20th, 2008, 01:26 PM   #11
Regular Crew

Well I just did a job last week were my transfer time is about 20-25min per 16MB SDHC card using ShotPut Pro. And yes you are stuck with 15MB/s thats mega bytes not mega bits. Thats as fast as the card will read. There has to be a down side to inexpensive media and offload speed is it. I preffer Shotput Pro because it's transfers are via the terminal not the finder so they are faster but you set it all up through the interface. Plus I can copy to up to 3 drives at once.
Old December 20th, 2008, 04:25 PM   #12
Inner Circle

My only comment is the day the masters are corrupt is the day the client will realize the mistake or more likely blame you. There's a right way and a risky way. If the client demands this, you need to explain the risk and they need to "sign off" or otherwise agree to it otherwise they will claim ignorance when it happens and blame you as producer/shooter.

If you're shooting under 60 minutes total for the day and the client wants fast you might be better off using 2 8GB SxS cards that came free or 1 16GB SxS if you have it.

If you get into a car with the client and insists you don't wear a set belt, do you listen?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds