What's the "secret" of CINE2 ? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old December 31st, 2008, 12:00 PM   #16
Inner Circle

I should say I'm looking at EX1 Paper Manual. Is that the EX3 Manual you're referring? I just want to make sure we don't drive people crazy looking in the wrong manual. I suspect much of the basic information is similar but obviously in different places in each.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stone View Post
Indeed it is right in the manual as so but on page 56 of the paper manual & page 55 of the electronic version.

I didn't catch the plus or minus 10% when I read it the first time.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:03 PM   #17
Regular Crew

I could be wrong, but....

The manual says a 10% range on Zebra 1. That's plus or minus 5% from whatever you have set.. At least in my camera, if I set Zebra 1 at 95% I get zebras in the range from 90% to 100% (as measured by the brightness display).

I don't often have people as the main subjects, so I'm more concerned about blowing out highlight detail. That's why I have Zebra 1 set at 95%.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 01:12 PM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Thomas View Post
Mike, in Adam's test, he listed the brightness for middle gray on a chip chart in each gamma for the same exposure setting, with 50% being the default. He used STD3 (linear gamma) – “standard video”. Normal, midgray at 50 to use as the basis for setting up this exposure as the main baseline reference for all other gammas. The "compression starts" is the first point on the line where the exposure starts to compress and turn non-linear.

You can read Adam's detail here:
ProVideo Coalition.com: Camera Log by Adam Wilt | Founder | Pro Cameras, HDV Camera, HD Camera, Sony, Panasonic, JVC, RED, Video Camera Reviews

More on EX1 gamma:
Sony : Shooting Tips for XDCAM EX Concept : United Kingdom
thanks steven.
i'm still not 100% what exposure "compression" is. could someone elaborate?
thanks. Happy New Year!
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 02:01 PM   #19
Inner Circle

My manual says ±10% not 10% range. Setting Zebra 1 to 107 can trigger at 97. Setting Zebra 1 to 95 can trigger at 85.

The exact wording in my EX1 Manual page 41:

To display a zebra pattern in the area of ±10% centering the video level set with "Zebra Level."

My translation: The number you set Zebra 1 to is the middle of the range. That range starts -10% and ends +10%

Setting zebra to 95 would be 85-105 range.

This is different than Zebra 2 which is locked to 100% and only displays over that number.

from the manual on Zebra 2:

To display a zebra pattern for the video level over 100%.

So, if you want zebra 1 to start displaying at 95% set zebra 1 to 105%. Zebra 1 is the CENTER of it's ±10% range.

Zebra 2 wont display until it hits 100% (there's no under to the range).

It would nice to have a zebra trigger point at 107% since anything below that still has data that can be used/rescued/not clipped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Peters View Post
I could be wrong, but....

The manual says a 10% range on Zebra 1. That's plus or minus 5% from whatever you have set.. At least in my camera, if I set Zebra 1 at 95% I get zebras in the range from 90% to 100% (as measured by the brightness display).

I don't often have people as the main subjects, so I'm more concerned about blowing out highlight detail. That's why I have Zebra 1 set at 95%.

Pete
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 04:12 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Craig, I know what the manual says. I'm pointing out that MY camera doesn't work that way. Set at 95% I get zebras in areas that range from 90% to 100%, as measured by the Brightness Level Indication in the viewfinder.

Please try yours and let me know how yours works.

Whether my camera is unique (doubtful) or the manual's writers were less than clear (more likely) is not a problem for me. I like the smaller range. Zebra's covering 20% of the exposure range would not be much use to me. Set at 95%. I can tell what parts of the image will be very light gray to white without blowing.

Pete
Clark Peters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2008, 06:56 PM   #21
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I should say I'm looking at EX1 Paper Manual. Is that the EX3 Manual you're referring? I just want to make sure we don't drive people crazy looking in the wrong manual. I suspect much of the basic information is similar but obviously in different places in each.
Hi Craig, yes it's the EX3 manual (laughing). It occurred to me after I was away from my computer today that you were talking about the EX1 manual. I apologize if I caused any confusion.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds