Sony Log & Transfer Utility for Apple FCP? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 4th, 2009, 12:18 PM   #16
Trustee

I'm planning to back up the entire project, so that means the MOV files, not the BAPV files. I'm thinking of having another hard drive to store the BAPV files on for "a while", then after 6-months to a year, I'll delete them.
Old January 4th, 2009, 12:49 PM   #17
Major Player

I just installed log and transfer for excam ex and I can't see any clips appearing in it's browse window. I just installed the Red plugin for FCP which also uses Log/Transfer- is there a possible conflict going on or is there a trick to see the mounted media in L&T?

BTW, the media I have mounted works with Sony XD Cam Transfer, and I have installed the SxS driver for the express slot (I'm using K+S; wonder if that might be the problem).

Last edited by Larry Huntington; January 4th, 2009 at 12:52 PM. Reason: Can't see clips in Log/Transfer
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:23 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I'm planning to back up the entire project
Planning to backup is a really bad idea, Mitchell - back it up NOW (or it may be too late).

Quote:
I'm thinking of having another hard drive to store the BAPV files on for "a while", then after 6-months to a year, I'll delete them.
Well, this one's up to you - but if you have the original BAPV files, who knows what you may be able to do with the footage in the future?

You may want to capture different clips from the same source files in - who knows what codec. HDs are SO CHEAP it really makes sense to keep the BAPVs if you possibly can.
Old January 4th, 2009, 01:39 PM   #19
Major Player

My clip issue resolved on it's own.
Larry Huntington is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2009, 09:14 PM   #20
Trustee

Sorry I wasn't more clear Andy....

I don't have an EX3 yet. It's being delivered on Tuesday. I "plan" to archive my projects just like I always do:

1) Store everything on a Ciprico 5-drive RAID that striped RAID-5 so that if one drive goes bad I can replace it and not loose data
2) Backup Ciprico RAID hourly using Time Machine to a large FW800 drive
3) Archive monthly using Retrospect Backup to external firewire drivers

My logic on saving my BAPV files to another external hard drive is that I will normally pick all the best shots for use in the project. I don't leave anything un-captured. As a result, in the 7 years I've been archiving, I've yet to go back to the original tapes to find old footage. I alway go back to the archive and restore the footage. It's much faster.

But you're right, everyone has a different way of handing this. Thanks! :)
Old January 15th, 2009, 12:32 PM   #21
Trustee

I'm starting my first FCP project and I just reviewed Matt's excellent training video on Vimeo. Just wanted to say thanks again to Matt.

Andy, I plan to use Log & Transfer for my next project to find out which suits me better. (I chose XDCAM Transfer because I already had it loaded on my system)
Old January 16th, 2009, 03:22 PM   #22
Major Player

Weird, I find no mention in this thread about a major short-coming of the Log & Transfer method.

If you're doing any multicam editing, it is useless because it doesn't combine subclips during import like the Import XDcam method will.

Last edited by Craig Terott; January 17th, 2009 at 02:51 PM.
Craig Terott is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds