Black Gamma and Noise. - Page 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old May 19th, 2009, 05:52 PM   #61
Regular Crew

Matrix Setting ON
Select Cinema (Bill Ravens PP set to Hisat)
Level +35 (Bill Ravens PP set to 0)

Phase -5
R-G +75
R-B 0
G-R -18
G-B -32
B-R -27
B-G +13

Color Correction Setting OFF
Area Detection
Area Indication
Target Phase
Target Width
Level
Phase

White Balance Setting OFF
Offset <A>
Offset <B>
Offset <ATW>
Preset White

Detail Setting: Alister Chapman's suggestion in this thread: set to ON (Bill Ravens PP set to OFF)
Level -8
Frequency +30
Crispening +20
H/V Ratio 0
White Limiter 0
Black Limiter 0
V DTL Creation Y
Knee APT Level 0

Skin Tone Detail Setting OFF
Level
Area Detection
Area Indication
Saturation
Phase
Width

Knee Setting: N/A when Cine1, 2, 3, 4
Auto Knee
Point
Slope
SAT Level

Gamma Level 0
Type Cine1, 2, 3, 4

Black Level 0 (Bill Ravens setting -12)

Black Gamma Level 0

Low Key SAT Level 0

Michael, the above represents PP settings, combining Bill's PP, with Alister's Black Gamma and Noise settings discussed in this thread. For me, I shoot and tweak in post. To my knowledge, Bill Ravens has provided the community a PP which was created under controlled conditions and has been adopted by many EX1/EX3 users. Tweak to your own liking. My Black Level has been left at the default 0, then I tweak in post, but that is just me.

The Picture Profile Settings sticky, some 32+ pages now, is worth a look if you have time. To my knowledge, Bill's original PP had a few minor tweaks, and I understand Steven Thomas published the final combo that makes up Bill's PP, here:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/819952-post133.html

Personally, my Detail setting will now be switched back to OFF. Whilst there is improvement to reducing noise, thanks to Alister kindly providing the information in this thread, I will continue to use Neat Video plugin, as much of my low light footage is somewhat under exposed and certain levels of noise appear in the footage and the NV plugin has provided best results in my situation.
Christopher Barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 20th, 2009, 12:27 PM   #62
Major Player

great. thanks a lot Christopher. I have read all 32+ pages of the PP thread and I was waiting to see if Bill R was indeed using a Black Level of -12 or -3. it doesn't matter anymore. i've done enough testing to figure out what works for me.

thanks again for your post.

-Mike
Michael B. McGee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 07:40 PM   #63
Trustee

I'm about to try the Bill+Alister combo settings since Alister never did answer which matrix settings he uses with his cinema +35 setting.
But I have 3 settings of Bill's settings here. One is the one Christopher Barry posted above and the other is:

Hi-sat
level: 0
Phase -4
R-G +75
R-B 0
G-R -17
G-B -31
B-R -26
B-G +12

and another which is totally different:

Matrix select: cinema
Level: 0
Phase: -29
R-G: +31
R-B: 48
G-R: -2
G-B: -32
B-R: -38
B-G: +4
Color Correction ON
Target Phase: 274
Target Width: 0
Level: 91
Phase: -18

I don't remember exactly where I got them from but it was said to be Bill's as well. Anybody know these two profiles and have tried them?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 08:56 PM   #64

The original PP setting I developed did not use color correction/cinema. What I found was that it was very difficult to get the RED levels down to the same levels as the GREEN and BLUE channels. In an attempt to resolve this problem, I tried the Cinema setting which you've posted. While it helps the overall channel balance, by artificially raising the GREEN levels, it does reduce the bandwidth available in the red channel.

The CINEMA settings will work, but with limitations. I use the original settings, exclusively. So much for matrix settings for chroma content.
When one starts adjusting black level/black gamma, you move out of the chroma regime and begin to change luma "pedestal" values. The lower one makes the black level, the less footroom you leave yourself for black detail. Under very controlled conditions, low contrast like stage lighting with no deep shadows, this will be OK. If you move to uncontrolled lighting or conditions with deep shadow detail that you want to preserve, you need to raise the black level to -8 or -3, or less, to keep from inadverttently crushing your shadows.

This is all the science of exposure. At some point, skill and, yes, ART, begins to be the consideration.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:00 PM   #65
Trustee

Thanks Bill.
Which one of the TC is the latest? The one Christopher posted or the first one I posted, above the cinema one?
Michael Maier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 23rd, 2009, 09:16 PM   #66

The two profiles vary by 1.....or did I miss something?
I don't think 1 point makes any noticeable difference.
Bill Ravens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 12:33 AM   #67
Inner Circle

My matrix settings other than level at +30 or +35 when using the cinema matrix are all at 0.
Old July 24th, 2009, 02:23 PM   #68
Regular Crew

crispening -45

Can someone confirm if the negative value on the crispening setting really decrease noise, I have been trying it and it seems so, although itīs only a visual aproach and if it does how this setting is affecting detail. The thing is, that is completely the other way around from the information in Sony literature however it seems to work.
Julio Veas P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 11:43 PM   #69
Inner Circle

A negative crispening setting will increase noise. A positive setting raises the threshold of where detail is applied, thus less detail is applied to small amplitude picture changes such as noise.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds