Clips don't Play - YPbPr/SDI Out Select - SD or HD - EX1 firmware 1.11 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 6th, 2009, 11:14 AM   #16
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronn Kilby View Post
Same here. Also, even though my camera's been back to Sony twice, it still has the battery drain issue. Even with a new power board.
This is strange. This should be fixed by replacing I believe two PCBs.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 6th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #17
Inner Circle

I see what Tom sees.

Note that the Display Batt Info under the handle only displays the Battery Info when the camera is OFF (and battery installed). Turn camera off and then hold down that button for a few seconds. It's a way to check the attached battery without turning on the camera. This actually a good way to check battery drain issue.

What we need to do is document the rate of change over a set amount of time. One method might be to attach a full battery and let the camera sit off for 24 hours (can you stay away from it that long?) and check again using the above button.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 12:52 AM   #18
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I see what Tom sees.

Note that the Display Batt Info under the handle only displays the Battery Info when the camera is OFF (and battery installed). Turn camera off and then hold down that button for a few seconds. It's a way to check the attached battery without turning on the camera. This actually a good way to check battery drain issue.
Thanks Craig. I wasn't holding the button down long enough. The bar graph reads 100% and the counter 260 minutes.

My cam has the original power supply boards, and shipped with V1.05. It now has V1.11, and the battery drain on the BP-U60 battery lasts about a week on-camera with no usage, so I don't know how that compares. I now just remove the battery.

I have experienced most of the issues, backfocus, battery drain, I guess that's it just those two. I have not had the vignette problem. The silkscreen lettering on the body is wearing off around the ND selector switch.

To me, the most important fix was the back flange adjustment, which had to be repeated after the firmware upgrade.

I'm completely satisfied with the cam.

I think Piotr had his firmware flashed by Sony. I wonder if it's something other than the firmware causing his faulty battery readout, perhaps not using a Sony battery, or perhaps they replaced his power supply boards to address the battery drain issue, i.e. ribbon cable not seated on p.s. board?
Tom Roper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:45 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Roper View Post
I think Piotr had his firmware flashed by Sony. I wonder if it's something other than the firmware causing his faulty battery readout, perhaps not using a Sony battery, or perhaps they replaced his power supply boards to address the battery drain issue, i.e. ribbon cable not seated on p.s. board?
Yes Tom, mine was upgraded by Sony. Actually they did quite a lot, including lens replacement (I did ask them to fix the sticking ND filter switch, but never complained about any other lens-related issue). They also replaced 2 body panels for rubbed off lettering; it's possible they didn't put things back together quite properly.

As I said, I'm not too worried about the battery read-out problem (I'm only using originals), as having 2 years of Prime Support, I will certainly be sending my unit once more for a general overhaul.

As to the battery drain, yes they said 2 PCB's were replaced; indeed the problem is much less noticeable now, but not gone completely. In my old good V1E, I could leave the battery for weeks and its capacity didn't change at all!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds