DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/)
-   -   Transcend 16GB ExpressCard SSD (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-xdcam-ex-pro-handhelds/141061-transcend-16gb-expresscard-ssd.html)

Mauro John Capece January 7th, 2009 07:39 AM

Transcend 16GB ExpressCard SSD

Hi all, I did some test on the field:
Transcend 16GB ExpressCard SSD using Sony Pmw-Ex3.
Welcome to Transcend Website - Transcend Releases its New ExpressCard/34 Solid State Disk, Up to 16GB
All ok using 1080/25p. 50 Min Hq. No problem working in all conditions (start stop; long shot; etc).
Media Error using 720/25p 60fps.

Best regards, MJC

Michael Kushner January 7th, 2009 08:15 AM

Transcend 32 GB Expresscard

Thanks for the info MJC. I checked the Transcend site and they have a 32GB card for $117. I'm relatively new to the tapeless process but is this Transcend 32GB card any different that Sony's 32GB SXS card for $1500?

Thanks

Ted OMalley January 7th, 2009 08:48 AM

It's all about the internals.

As Mauro points out - it is getting errors and failing in overcranking, so, no, it's not the same as Sony's (or Sandisk's) SxS cards.

More than likely, Transcend is using the USB bus rather than the PCI bus. The USB bus on the EX cameras has been relatively well proven to be crippled and the data rate is not high enough for overcranking. Perhaps they'll release a PCI bus version in the future. Currently, this card is on par with using the SDHC card solutions.

Jay Gladwell January 7th, 2009 08:49 AM

Wow, Mauro, that's excellent news!

Thanks for sharing.

Michael, it appears the card will work in the EX cameras. The only issue being you can overcrack the camera (do slow motion). That's fine. I've got two SxS cards, so it's not an issue.

I found the 16GB card online for under $40--cerainly worth a try at that price.

Do a Google search for Transcend ExpressCard/34 SSD and see what you can find.

Jay Gladwell January 7th, 2009 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 990454)
Currently, this card is on par with using the SDHC card solutions.

Ted, I think it's actually cheaper.

Keith Moreau January 7th, 2009 02:16 PM

Several months ago. I tested the Transcend 32GB Expresscard and at 30P HQ (no overcrank) got continual media errors after a few minutes. I couldn't get it to record reliably at HQ quality. I believe I got it to record at SQ quality without errors but don't have a record of that.

I immediately returned it.

The MxR + Transcend SDHC solution, in my opinion is worth the extra $50 or so for equivalent storage. Once you've initially invested in the MxR adapter, then you just add SDHC cards, which are getting faster and cheaper all the time.

Steven Thomas January 7th, 2009 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Keith Moreau (Post 990731)
Several months ago. I tested the Transcend 32GB Expresscard and at 30P HQ (no overcrank) got continual media errors after a few minutes. I couldn't get it to record reliably at HQ quality.

Yes, I recall you mentioning this a while back. I also thought I read someone tried the 16GB version and it also errored.

Good to hear it's working for you Mauro.

Alister Chapman January 7th, 2009 03:56 PM

I tried the 8Gb Transcend and it produced errors all the time.

Ted OMalley January 7th, 2009 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell (Post 990459)
Ted, I think it's actually cheaper.

You're right, but I wasn't actually thinking about the price - was just commenting about performance. Actually, Jay, for me it'd have to be real cheap to be tempting - I love the flexibility that SD cards give me! Regardless, it is nice to see technology move forward and pricing drop.

Steven Thomas January 7th, 2009 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ted OMalley (Post 990820)
I love the flexibility that SD cards give me!

A hear you there. The MxR readers work great!
Ross nailed it on this one.

I have officially given up on the Delkin readers. Out of the four I owned, I had only one that was working, but that one also had the famous media restore error.