Transcend 16GB ExpressCard SSD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 7th, 2009, 07:39 AM   #1
New Boot

Transcend 16GB ExpressCard SSD

Hi all, I did some test on the field:
Transcend 16GB ExpressCard SSD using Sony Pmw-Ex3.
Welcome to Transcend Website - Transcend Releases its New ExpressCard/34 Solid State Disk, Up to 16GB
All ok using 1080/25p. 50 Min Hq. No problem working in all conditions (start stop; long shot; etc).
Media Error using 720/25p 60fps.

Best regards, MJC
Mauro John Capece is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:15 AM   #2
New Boot

Transcend 32 GB Expresscard

Thanks for the info MJC. I checked the Transcend site and they have a 32GB card for $117. I'm relatively new to the tapeless process but is this Transcend 32GB card any different that Sony's 32GB SXS card for $1500?

Thanks
Michael Kushner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:48 AM   #3
Major Player

It's all about the internals.

As Mauro points out - it is getting errors and failing in overcranking, so, no, it's not the same as Sony's (or Sandisk's) SxS cards.

More than likely, Transcend is using the USB bus rather than the PCI bus. The USB bus on the EX cameras has been relatively well proven to be crippled and the data rate is not high enough for overcranking. Perhaps they'll release a PCI bus version in the future. Currently, this card is on par with using the SDHC card solutions.
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:49 AM   #4

Wow, Mauro, that's excellent news!

Thanks for sharing.

Michael, it appears the card will work in the EX cameras. The only issue being you can overcrack the camera (do slow motion). That's fine. I've got two SxS cards, so it's not an issue.

I found the 16GB card online for under $40--cerainly worth a try at that price.

Do a Google search for Transcend ExpressCard/34 SSD and see what you can find.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 08:51 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
Currently, this card is on par with using the SDHC card solutions.
Ted, I think it's actually cheaper.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:16 PM   #6
Major Player

Several months ago. I tested the Transcend 32GB Expresscard and at 30P HQ (no overcrank) got continual media errors after a few minutes. I couldn't get it to record reliably at HQ quality. I believe I got it to record at SQ quality without errors but don't have a record of that.

I immediately returned it.

The MxR + Transcend SDHC solution, in my opinion is worth the extra $50 or so for equivalent storage. Once you've initially invested in the MxR adapter, then you just add SDHC cards, which are getting faster and cheaper all the time.
Keith Moreau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 02:24 PM   #7
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Moreau View Post
Several months ago. I tested the Transcend 32GB Expresscard and at 30P HQ (no overcrank) got continual media errors after a few minutes. I couldn't get it to record reliably at HQ quality.
Yes, I recall you mentioning this a while back. I also thought I read someone tried the 16GB version and it also errored.

Good to hear it's working for you Mauro.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 7th, 2009, 03:56 PM   #8
Inner Circle

I tried the 8Gb Transcend and it produced errors all the time.
Old January 7th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Gladwell View Post
Ted, I think it's actually cheaper.
You're right, but I wasn't actually thinking about the price - was just commenting about performance. Actually, Jay, for me it'd have to be real cheap to be tempting - I love the flexibility that SD cards give me! Regardless, it is nice to see technology move forward and pricing drop.
Old January 7th, 2009, 05:53 PM   #10
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted OMalley View Post
I love the flexibility that SD cards give me!
A hear you there. The MxR readers work great!
Ross nailed it on this one.

I have officially given up on the Delkin readers. Out of the four I owned, I had only one that was working, but that one also had the famous media restore error.
Steven Thomas is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds