EX3 newbie (and mini XDCAM ex) !! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 9th, 2009, 10:14 AM   #1
Regular Crew

EX3 newbie (and mini XDCAM ex) !!

I finally took the decision for the EX3 over other cheaper options.... "life is short" was one of my factors.... Just received and playing with the camera... it's an amazing piece of equipment... no problems found yet (as mentioned on this forum: focus, distortions, etc.) ....

and just waiting for my MxR adapters .... put my AB Dionic 90 (with the AB QR-EX3 adapter) and improves a lot (balance, lots of power to spare and "look")... I think I'll never going to use the Sony battery/charger included ....

one request from a client: "I want my HD master files as well as my DVD..." ... He doesn´t know anything about BVAP folders, mxf files, etc. just want the HD files (preferably edited and finished, just like the DVD movie)... I know I can make a BluRay, but for files, what format is recomended ?? are mts (HD with audio) good enough ??

.... and I just found this:

JVC Professional Features page

seems to be like a mini XDCAM ex, even recording to 2 SDHC !!

Kind Regards and best wishes for 2009
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:18 AM   #2
Major Player

Very ineterssting little camera and possibly ideal as a second/backup cam.

Any idea on price?
Steve Shovlar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:33 AM   #3
Major Player

Could replace my Sony HC1 / A1
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enrique Orozco Robles View Post
... one request from a client: "I want my HD master files as well as my DVD..." ... He doesn´t know anything about BVAP folders, mxf files, etc. just want the HD files (preferably edited and finished, just like the DVD movie)...
Master files = camera originals, where I come from. Put the ball back in his court. Ask the client what file types he wants.
Jay Gladwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 10:50 AM   #5
Regular Crew

New JVC Cam

I was at the Final Cut Pro Super Meet in SF where they debuted the camera and I believe they said it would be $3500 and be released in April. A more pro version will be coming out as well. Uses the same XDCAM codec as the Ex-1 and Ex-3, only the camera generates ready to edit quicktimes, so no fussing with BPAV folders.
Gerry Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 11:16 AM   #6
Regular Crew

thank you Jay... the client wants HD masters that can be viewed, at least on PC/MAC ... that's why I'm asking about mts files ... and maybe recomend some of the new options to connect on HDTVs (like WD media player....) .... the masters can be also useful for future burning to BluRay discs .......

Is he asking too much ????

Kind Regards
Old January 9th, 2009, 01:34 PM   #7
Inner Circle

BPAV can certainly be viewed on both Mac and Windows. Free Sony Clip Browser is all they'll need.

VLC will also play the MP4 (they've fixed the no sound issue in recent versions).

The files can be rewraped to MXF or MOV but they're going to need to do more work to play those.
If you re-encode to another codec they're no longer masters since you'll introduce quality loss (however slight depending on the compression).

Clients need to understand what MASTER means.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2009, 03:29 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Over here a master would normally mean the programme Master or Master Copy of the finished edit. The clips from the camera would be the rushes or footage.
Old January 9th, 2009, 04:13 PM   #9
Inner Circle

Actually rushes used to be a film term as was footage (of course both may still be). The client might ask for rushes but they were not handed the camera masters unless they were walking with them (post job going elsewhere). If the client wanted to view "rushes" they were handed a dub.

The facilities I've worked at labeled video coming from the camera "camera master" and from the edit session "edit master" or "program master."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
Over here a master would normally mean the programme Master or Master Copy of the finished edit. The clips from the camera would be the rushes or footage.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds