SDHC Brands that work with MxR - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old July 24th, 2009, 02:10 PM   #31
Regular Crew

I'm using Silicon Power Class 6 16gb cards. no problem whatsoever.

o don't do overcrank, and also after "pause" a recording, must wait about 4 seconds to record again, or will give the classic "media need to be restored"

im using a realtek-based card reader, unload 16gb in 15-16minutes.
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 03:16 PM   #32
Inner Circle

Sandisk are no longer reliable. They've changed their manufacturing process. I've been using 32GB Class 2 Sandisk cards since January and NEVER had a problem. People have been complaining about Sandisk Since February so it seems.

Transcend SHDC Class 6 cards are now "the" reliable card although like the above person people are finding other viable cards as well.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:29 PM   #33
Regular Crew

my friend Gabriel Soares got the silicon power first, i believe due to tests made:

Charts, benchmarks SDHC Memory Card Charts, Minimum Write Transfer Rates

as it worked fine for him, i bought also ;)

transcend are quite hard to find from a reliable source here, and silicon power are cheap ;)
Marlon Martins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 04:41 PM   #34
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
Transcend SHDC Class 6 cards are now "the" reliable card although like the above person people are finding other viable cards as well.
I just bought 8 Transcend class 6 cards from Amazon (not a third party) and checked Serial #s. They are plagued with "Media Restore" problems. So I'm not sure I'd call them reliable anymore. Quite frankly I don't know if there are any reliable cards right now. Something seems to have happened to the SDHC supply.
Brett Sherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 07:32 PM   #35
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Ippolito View Post
Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced any problems with the MxR and SanDisk cards. I've had the cards for a few months now, and I have now had my third major problem.

The first incident occurred while shooting on a reality television show. The card showed no problems during shooting (I never got the Restore Media message), but when I tried to import on a MacBook it was unreadable. I tried several data restoration programs, and went so far as to have the Geek Squad take a look. Unfortunately, there were no salvageable files. I contacted Sony to see if they might be able to help, but obviously because it is a third party product they were unwilling. This was a pretty big disaster and although we did not lose a lot of footage in did cost me a client.

I talked with Ross from eFilm and he deduced that most likely it was a faulty SanDisk card. This seemed plausible to me, but the part that bothered me was that I had used the card successfully for a couple of weeks before the failure.

Currently, I am in Rwanda shooting a documentary. Last week I had another card fail. This time the card did appear in the XDCAM Transfer but several clips were corrupted. They each played for a few seconds, but would always stop at the same point. Once again it seemed plausible that the card simply had a bad sector or two. Still, I was bothered because it was a card I had been using for several weeks without a problem. I immediately took this card out of my usage rotation.

Today, I have had yet another problem. The card is readable in the XDCAM transfer program, except for a 17 minute interview clip. (Unfortunately, this is a one time only interview with a convicted murderer/perpetrator of the '94 Genocide here in Rwanda). When I try to import the clip it goes to 87 percent complete and suddenly ejects the card.
Because the clip is visible and plays partially I'm hoping that it is salvageable to some extent. When I insert the card in the camera it gives me the Media Restore message but the restore fails at 22% every time.

The failures have occurred on three separate SanDisk Ultra II Class 4 16GB cards purchased at separate times at separate retailers. I have a few Sony SxS cards that I use as well and I have never had a problem with them so I'm certain the camera is fine.

I don't feel like the MxR is necessarily to blame. However, I'm beginning to feel that if it is possible to use the SD cards recommended by the makers of the MxR and still have these types of problems I don't see how the MxR can be suitable for professional use. As I said before these were cards that I've been using for some time. Each time I've purchased an SD card I have set the camera up and recorded through the entire card TWICE and transferred these clips to insure there would be no hidden problems.

At this point, I have lost all faith in the MxR's viability for professional use. Even if the problem is with the SD cards I don't see how the work flow can be usable in a professional environment. The real issue as I see it, is that these cards have failed after several dozen successful uses. If they had simply failed out of the box, upon testing, I would be more convinced of the MxR's viability.

Previously, I owned an HVX200 which I used to shoot extensively throughout Asia and Africa and I never lost a single clip. The MxR was a big factor in switching to the EX1 (not to mention the sweet resolution). At this point I'm pulling all of the MxR cards out of usage and ordering additional Sony SxS cards and having them overnighted from the US.

I'm extremely curious if anyone else had had any problems like this. I'm open to any suggestions for salvaging my latest card.

Scott
I am curious - was it your practice to leave the cards in the same MxR adaptors or take them out for downloading into the computer and then reinsert them into the adaptor?
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2009, 08:01 PM   #36
Inner Circle

I'm not Scott but I've been using 2 32GB Sandisk Ultra II CLASS 2 (not 4) cards since January without issue. I always take them out of the MxRs and us SDHC to USB reader.

It seems shortly after January Sandisk changed something about the cards and the new cards seem to be CLASS 4 and some have reported them problematic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
I am curious - was it your practice to leave the cards in the same MxR adaptors or take them out for downloading into the computer and then reinsert them into the adaptor?
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:06 AM   #37
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
I'm not Scott but I've been using 2 32GB Sandisk Ultra II CLASS 2 (not 4) cards since January without issue. I always take them out of the MxRs and us SDHC to USB reader.

It seems shortly after January Sandisk changed something about the cards and the new cards seem to be CLASS 4 and some have reported them problematic.
My point was that I have seen some posts on here where people had problems when they were constantly taking out and reinserting cards into the adaptors (perhaps bending the contact areas). A number of people (myself included) put the cards into the adaptors and never take them out - using an express-card-USB adaptor to download.
Barry J. Weckesser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2009, 06:08 AM   #38
Inner Circle

I just wanted to point out that I have been taking them out of the adaptors to transfer for nearly 7 months no and not even one single issue ever.

Note that using Clip Browser is the way to go. If you drag and drop it is possible for the OS to write back invisible files which may result in a media restore since these files are outside of the expected file structure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry J. Weckesser View Post
My point was that I have seen some posts on here where people had problems when they were constantly taking out and reinserting cards into the adaptors (perhaps bending the contact areas). A number of people (myself included) put the cards into the adaptors and never take them out - using an express-card-USB adaptor to download.
Old December 7th, 2009, 02:44 AM   #39
Major Player

brand

Hi,

my friend has an EX1 (latest firmware) with MxR adapter and with 2 Sandisk Ultra II 16GB card (class 4).
One of them has produced "media need restore" message in the first usage after few minutes, the other worked perfectly over many hour. He work in 1920x1080@60i at 35Mbps.
He call me just now, that the cards doesnt work anymore. He even cannot format, and use it like before. How can this be?

So our questions:
- in the first time why need one card media restore and not the other? isn't the two card the same?
- WHY is this media restore when so many people recommend this brand and ultra II speed?
(spec. was 15MB/sec, but maybe its just for reading speed?)
- 35Mbps is just AVERAGE bitrate, and when he pan quickly maybe this bitrate will go over 40-50Mbps, and then he got the error message?
- can we kill these cards only because writing for long time at 30-40Mbps?

What do you recommend now? A class 6 card doesnt have this error? He like to do wedding videos, no overcrank, just SAFETY recording in 1080@60i.

thx,
Marton
Old December 7th, 2009, 03:13 AM   #40
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prech Marton View Post
Hi,

- WHY is this media restore when so many people recommend this brand and ultra II speed?
People did recommend the Sandisk cards. However that was a while ago and according to the MxM website there have been inconsistencies reported since then.

The card you want is the ATP Pro Max.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:05 AM   #41
Inner Circle

It seems Sandisk changed their manufacturing specs many months ago. Since then the cards have been inconsistent. The 32GB Sandisk Ultra II cards I bought last January have been flawless for me. If I were to buy as 32GB card today it would be the ATP ProMax cards. It's what MxM recommends.
Old December 7th, 2009, 08:08 AM   #42
Major Player

unfortunatly we cannot buy this brand in Hungary.
Maybe Transcend class6 worth a try?
Old December 7th, 2009, 09:07 AM   #43
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prech Marton View Post
unfortunatly we cannot buy this brand in Hungary.
Maybe Transcend class6 worth a try?
As I've detailed elsewhere, I ordered an ATP from MxM in Australia and it was with me quicker than one of my UK suppliers would deliver!

You can chance your arm with the Trancends, but there is a very good reason why my 6 cards are all sitting in storage rather than in adaptors. You might be alright, or you might get a bad card. Is that a risk you consider worth taking? I don't.
Old July 2nd, 2010, 12:22 PM   #44
Regular Crew

SDHC cards and Kensington adapters

In response to Scott, I have been using SDHC Class 6 Transcends and Sandisk Ultra II's for a long time on my EX3. Then my friend got some class 4 Sandisks (from B&H as well, because we avoid dodgy retailers) and what do you know, one of them failed on the field, had to re shoot the days work.

I would like to know if there is any combination which does work.

Saraswati Films | Krishna
Film is the New Pen TM
Old July 2nd, 2010, 01:03 PM   #45
Inner Circle

Manish, firmware makes a lot of the difference. EX1 with 1.2 will handle SDHC that 1.11 will not. I think the safest bet is to go with the new Sandisk Extreme Class 10. ATP Class 6 cards have a good reputation as well. I would NOT use Transcend especially if you're not on the latest firmware. Also Sandisk other that the current Extreme seems to be hit and miss with some people.

I'm using EX1 firmware 1.11 with Sandisk Ultra II Class 2 cards (yes, Class 2) and they have been flawless for 18 months and counting. You can not get those cards anymore. Seems they were only around for a few weeks before Ultra II Class 4 came out which were problems.

Generally though EX1 firmware 1.2 has resolved most of the SDHC issues although nothing can help poor QC from a card maker though.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds