Adding Motion Blur to Progressive Footage at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 13th, 2009, 01:09 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Adding Motion Blur to Progressive Footage

Could someone give me a simple rule of thumb for adding a little motion blur to my progressive footage?
I'm trying to smooth-out the flutter look it yields during on-screen movement.
The footage looks fine on a progressive monitor but flutters on my interlaced monitor.
So I'm experimention with adding some motion blur. VERY process intensive.
Hoping to learn from someone else's experience.

Thank You.

Kevin Jones
Kevin Wayne Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:12 PM   #2
Better than Halle Berry

Hmm- I think that's going to be ultimately counterproductive. There's not really a proper formula for correcting progressive footage by adding motion blur because it's kind of a subjective call that such a thing is necessary. Much better to take as a lesson for the next time you shoot to carefully consider frame rate and shutter speed so you get the sort of look you're personally after. Also- what do you mean by flutter- that also a subjective term. What is the footage doing that you don't like?

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 01:24 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I believe you are right about adding motion blur.
After a little experimenting it is not practical.

This particular footage was shot 1080p 30p with a shutter speed of 1/60.
Normally I shoot 1080i. Progressive has a different look.
It's only noticeable on my analog interlaced old technology monitor.
The fluttering I mention is very subtle and probably no one would notice it but me.
It's particularly noticeable during scenes of on-screen movement.
In my case hands gesturing by the on screen talent.

Thanks.

Kevin Jones
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:25 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Kevin, I know exactly what you mean. I'm sensitive to it too. I think there may be very slight difference in people's "persistence of vision" and how people react to it aesthetically as well. 24p drives me nuts for that reason.

Sometimes I find shutting 1080p30 with shutter off (which is 1/30) instead of 1/60 helps immensely. It's really an aesthetic decision though.

Another alternative is to shoot 720p60 which has greater temporal resolution. Again it's a different look but those are avenues worth exploring.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 02:46 PM   #5
Major Player

If what you mean by flutter is a strobing look to the footage then I agree it can be distracting. I also shoot with shutter off to smooth things out. To me it looks smoother and even more like film. YMMV but you should give it a try. Plus you gain a stop of light by shutting it off.
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I like the idea of "shutter OFF". I will try that tomorrow.

Thanks for the input!

Kevin Jones
Old January 13th, 2009, 08:10 PM   #7
Better than Halle Berry

FYI- 'shutter off' is simply matching the shutter speed to frame rate. So 30p = 1/30, 24p = 1/24, etc. I personally don't like the look at all- it's too smeary and video like to my eyes. I much prefer a 1/48 or 1/60 for 24p and don't like 30p at all because it looks too much like a cross between video and film look- sort of a halfway there format. Anyways- the point is that this stuff is subjective. :)

-Noah
Noah Kadner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:22 PM   #8
Trustee

Probably a dumb question but......how the heck can you turn the shutter on and off? The display in my viewfinder says at the bottom: SHT: Off

I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it back on.

I also notice that TLCS is set to STD. I don't want to ever use TLCS. I think it's off....right?

(sorry if these are stupid questions)
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:26 PM   #9
Major Player

I just shot a doco over 12 days using 1080 25p with shutter OFF. The only difference I found (with some tests) between shutter off and 1/50 was a loss of light for the same iris setting. The footage is great.

Unless I am looking for a particular visual effect - for example the strobing look at high shutter rates - all of my future 25p will be shot with the shutter off.
Old January 13th, 2009, 09:29 PM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
Probably a dumb question but......how the heck can you turn the shutter on and off? The display in my viewfinder says at the bottom: SHT: Off

I can't for the life of me figure out how to turn it back on.

I also notice that TLCS is set to STD. I don't want to ever use TLCS. I think it's off....right?

(sorry if these are stupid questions)
You need to get into the menu settings of the camera, which gives you shutter speed (and angle) choices.
Old January 14th, 2009, 01:16 AM   #11
Major Player

David I think Mitchell is referring to what should be the "shutter" switch that is smack below the lens mount between the white balance and the Assign 4 button.

I know I got tripped up on this when I first got the camera. I know it's been said before but placing the white balance and shutter on/off switch under the lens mount was a usability blunder.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 08:50 AM   #12
Major Player

Agreed! I swear at the white balance location everytime I try and hold out a white sheet with my left hand, then reach around my tripod to the front under the lens with my right to hit the WB button. It's in the worst possible location.

The shutter switch is even further over than the WB switch and Assign 4? Forget it!! Further still!!!
Paul Frederick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:41 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Shot some outdoor footage of municipal workers today.
Shot 1080p with the shutter turned off.
Very nice look. The shutter in the "off" position introduces just enough motion blur to smooth out the flutter I was seeing with the shutter set to 1/60.
Also shot repeat shots of same activity set to 1080i 1/60 to compare.
Looked similar but introduced interlacing artifacts.
Thanks for the shutter OFF tip.

Kevin Jones
Old January 14th, 2009, 03:48 PM   #14
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Stone View Post
David I think Mitchell is referring to what should be the "shutter" switch that is smack below the lens mount between the white balance and the Assign 4 button.

I know I got tripped up on this when I first got the camera. I know it's been said before but placing the white balance and shutter on/off switch under the lens mount was a usability blunder.

BINGO!!!! Thank you Andy! I didn't even notice that button under the lens.

Now....to continue to shoot without the shutter or try shooting this next commercial (an important one) with the shutter on and set to 1/60th. Hmmmmm....

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds