Converting EX1 footage for Composting in After Effects. Ideal Format?? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 19th, 2009, 07:36 PM   #1
Major Player

Converting EX1 footage for Composting in After Effects. Ideal Format??

Im New to this EX1 workflow, so help would be appreciated...

At first, I imported my native format XDCAM EX1 footage into after effects for a greenscreen composite. However, problems arise when i render out, i get black frames on parts of the footage.... After Googling this problem i discovered that after effects will not work properly with Native Formatted EX1 footage and you have to 'convert it to something else before you import to After effects. I learned that EX1 footage is an ACQUISITION format but not a good Post production format...

My question is; What "post production format" should i be converting EX1 footage to and whats the best way to do it?

I know that "Cineform Prospect HD" can convert EX1 footage to Cineform Codec but i don't own it. What other options do i have if not Cineform?

I see that the XDCAM Clip Browser can export to other formats. Which one should i be exporting to for this purpose?

Last edited by Tyson Persall; January 19th, 2009 at 08:06 PM.
Tyson Persall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2009, 11:51 PM   #2
Trustee

I get no "black frames" when using XDCAM EX footage inside AfterEffects CS3. Do you have all the XDCAM codecs installed? (just a guess)

I shoot 1080 30P and edit in AE using the "HDTV 1080 29.97 preset. I then render out using Render Settings=Best Settings preset. But I created my own ProRes Output Module.

Hope this makes sense.
Old January 20th, 2009, 12:34 AM   #3
Major Player

Are you on PC or Mac? If you're on MAC Prores HQ isn't too bad but has its issues. XDCAM EX works nicely in AE in most cases but you can definitely see it start to break down if you push it too hard in some areas. If you dont have a good DI codec you can use then cut your edit, output into either uncompressed or into an image sequence. You can save space over uncompressed and still have a very nice 16-bit image by rendering into PNG16
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2009, 03:04 AM   #4
Major Player

Im on a PC, so ProRess is not available for me...
My sequence is 15 layers of Greenscreen composites at the same time, so Id say that its rather complex... and i guess that complexity is beyond what XDCAM format can handel.
Old January 20th, 2009, 02:50 PM   #5
Major Player

If youre keying that much - I'd look at image sequences since you dont have a good DI codec to use. Make sure you render out to 16bit image seq whatever you use.
Jeremy Hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 21st, 2009, 12:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

same problem and I'm also unsure about this stuff...
ok, I understand I need to export as 16bit image sequence.

does anyone know how to set up the project in Sony Vegas where I can open mxf files (i can only export image sequence from there, xdcam clip browser does not support image seq, as far as I can see)... vegas does have two options in project settings - pixel format: 8bit and 32bit. does that even matter?
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds