No Audio after Sony Servicing at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 21st, 2009, 04:23 PM   #1
Regular Crew

No Audio after Sony Servicing

Today I went out to use my Sony PMW-EX1 for the first time since it was serviced by Sony Premium Support (new back and slide plate, circuit board replacement for battery drain problem, firmware upgrade).

And I find I can't get any audio levels. Not through my usual external wireless mic on Channel 1. Not through my external shotgun mic on Channel 2. Not even through the internal mic.

Checking the menu I find the "Trim" settings are suddenly greyed out and can't be changed. I know at one point as I was hunting around for a setting I may have missed they weren't.

Is there some setting on the camera I've missed or is this a case of a botched service job? I've tried all the obvious back-panel settings of trying auto vs manual, internal vs external etc.
Ian Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:06 PM   #2
Major Player

The trim settings are greyed out if the input switches below the XLR sockets are set to Line.

I assume that the camera is not set to any of the modes (S&Q, Interval, Frame recording) that disable sound?

N
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2009, 05:31 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Wilson View Post
The trim settings are greyed out if the input switches below the XLR sockets are set to Line.

I assume that the camera is not set to any of the modes (S&Q, Interval, Frame recording) that disable sound?

N
Indeed. Just normal shooting. And yes, once I'd got home and checked the manual I realised why the trim settings were greyed out. In desperation I'd tried switching between all 3 XLR socket positions in the dark, wondering if they'd accidentally shifted.

Oddly if I turn the monitor up to their highest volume so I hear hiss, as I change the external mic switch position between the three possible settings (Line, Mic, +45 v) the hiss seems to change with each switch position: from both channels to right channel back to both channels again. But no sound can be heard, even tapping on the internal mic when it's set to be input.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 08:44 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Use the All Reset and test again. Use the internal mic (make sure settings on back of camera are set to internal).

If that doesn't fix it, it may well be a bad firmware upgrade.
I had an odd problem were SDI Out turned on prevented playback of media off cards.
Two other people have posted about odd white balance issues.

In my case I had Sony reinstall the firmware upgrade and the problem was fixed.
I think firmware upgrades can go wrong and the symptom is usually some odd behavior that might even seem hardware related.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:45 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Actually the firmware upgrade was applied by my dealer just before it went to Sony Premium Support and the camera worked fine after the upgrade. But the dealer said they weren't allowed to do the other upgrade (circuit board to fix battery leakage problem, replace back and side panels where paint was peeling off) so that was when it went back to Sony Premium Support.

They're collecting it again tomorrow. The first time was such a series of cockups they extended my support by 3 months - and that was BEFORE I discovered the audio problem. I just hope they don't break anything else on this second visit.
Old January 24th, 2009, 10:37 AM   #6
Trustee

Ian,
Whenever I get anything back from repair I have to check out everything almost as if it was a new camera. It is not unusual to find some issue which has cropped up in the repair. Once Sony had an old Betacam deck of mine which they repaired but forgot to hook up the audio harness on reassembly so it had no sound on playback. I found the problem myself but those machines where easy to open up compared to a camcorder. Trust but verify before using any gear which has just come back from repair.
Daniel Epstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 24th, 2009, 01:44 PM   #7
Major Player

Yep, Sony San Jose broke my audio circuit too. I was having the backplate replaced (paint wear issue) and the tech managed to jam the audio selection switches into the circuit board when they misaligned the new backplate and screwed it down on top of the switches. It had to go back to San Jose for that one. "Trust, but verify" indeed.
Dave Morrison is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds