Transferring BPAV files between PC and Mac Intel. at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:03 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Transferring BPAV files between PC and Mac Intel.

Hi all,

Are looking at getting a External Hard Drive to back up and for transferring footage from my Sony PMW-EX3.
I have a PC Laptop and a Mac Pro editing suite.
Is it possible to back up my BPAV files to the External Hard Drive using the Laptop and then later bring them into the Mac computer from the same external HD.
Will the same External HD work with both PC and Mac?

I currently often transfer still pictures and word documents between PC and Mac using my Flash stick, will the above work also.

Your advise is appreciated.
PS hope this is the right section for this type of question, put it here because it relates to the EX3 camera and how the footage can be handled.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 01:20 PM   #2
Major Player

I use rugged Lacie external drives and they are formatted for the Mac and I use the following software on all my PC's to read the drives Mediafour | MacDrive it is awsome software and I highly recommend if you are going from Mac to PC and back to Mac with files.
Jason Bodnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:12 PM   #3
Inner Circle

If the drive is formated Fat32 it shouldn't be a problem. Jason pointed to a solution if the drive is Mac formated. If you format it NTFS the Mac may read the drive but not write to it. You'd need a 3rd party solution for that although the name escapes me at the moment.

Of course you could just put the laptop on a network and through ethernet send the files over.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Hi,

Thanks for your suggestions, yes I have thought the Network idea is most likely the simplest way to copy files around.
Will most likely go that way.

When I was in the local computer shop they said I would have no problem with a External HD as long as the programs I was running on the PC & Mac are the same or simlar.

Thanks.
Barry Uddstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 04:56 PM   #5
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Seeman View Post
If you format it NTFS the Mac may read the drive but not write to it. You'd need a 3rd party solution for that although the name escapes me at the moment.
Craig, NTFS for Mac lets you read AND write.
See here: Paragon NTFS for MAC OS X - full read and write access to Windows NTFS partitions under Mac OS X
Peter Kraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 07:58 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Peter I believe NTFS can be read without the utility (it's been a while since I tried). The utility adds the ability to write from what I understand. Maybe it adds additional read features too?
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2009, 09:18 PM   #7
Trustee

I seem to remember that FAT32 has a gigibyte limit. So if you have large (long) files, that may be a problem.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:50 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Peter I believe NTFS can be read without the utility (it's been a while since I tried). The utility adds the ability to write from what I understand.
This is correct.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:52 AM   #9
Major Player

Quote:
Maybe it adds additional read features too?
Possibly, but I have not yet become aware of any.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:58 AM   #10
Inner Circle

SxS cards themselves are formated FAT32. It's 4GB limit just as you see with cards and spanned clips.

Of course if you want to put long edited masters on the drive that are more than 4GB there might be an issue but then again you can put an edited master back on SxS card too now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mitchell Lewis View Post
I seem to remember that FAT32 has a gigibyte limit. So if you have large (long) files, that may be a problem.
Craig Seeman is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds