Quick audio question at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds
Sony PXW-Z280, Z190, X180 etc. (going back to EX3 & EX1) recording to SxS flash memory.

Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:20 AM   #1
Trustee

Quick audio question

EX1 with sennheiser G2 kit.
Ok, i have my wireless lav on the talent, receiver on the camera, input switch on the camera set to mic, correct ?

If i have a lead running from the sound desk then i chose "line" on the input switch, correct ?

But what if i have the wireless transmitter plugged into the sound desk and the receiver on the camera, (doing a shoot in a theatre it's not possible to have wire's going across the floor and it's not always possible to position myself near the sound desk).
Do i select "line" or "mic" on the camera input where the receiver plugs in.
The sound guy would've gave me good levels, ie not quite hitting the yellow light on the transmitter.

Thanks.
Paul.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:22 AM   #2
Inner Circle

You chose the levels based on the wire running into your camera. If a mic is plugged into the camera then choose mic. If it's not a mic (mixer, desk, etc.) then choose line. If in doubt choose line FIRST then see what the levels are like. If the levels are too low, then turn things down and try mic. You don't want to plug line in when you're set on mic.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:36 AM   #3
Trustee

Hi Perrone.
That's what i'm getting at, if the receiver is plugged into the cam i haven't got a wire running to the cam have i.
So would i chose line or mic ?

Thanks, Paul.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 07:51 AM   #4
Inner Circle

I run my G2 into the cam on Mic.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 08:44 AM   #5
Major Player

I run my G2 with AF Out set to +6 and the EX1 input on Line. However, there is nothing to stop you setting the AF Out much lower and the input to Mic, and playing around with the trim to get the meter deflection you want with the gain control where you want.

This is independent of the signal being fed to the transmitter. What you are trying to do is get a well (but not over) modulated RF signal from the transmitter, by setting the sensitivity to give close to full deflection on the transmitter's meter but not light the yellow peaking lamp. This keeps the audio as far from the noise floor as possible and gives you the best signal to noise. Having received that good audio, setting up the receiver and camera is just to make sure that the camera input is set for the receiver output level.

I take it you know that the G2 transmitter input is selectable between mic (tip) and line (ring), by whether the signal is fed to the tip or ring of the input jack? The CL2 line input cable (XLR to 3.5 mm jack) connects to the line level input but if you are making up your own cable, connect to the right terminal.

N
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:15 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick Wilson View Post
I take it you know that the G2 transmitter input is selectable between mic (tip) and line (ring), by whether the signal is fed to the tip or ring of the input jack?
N
No i didn't know that Nick, thanks.
So if i fed the transmitter with an xlr or 3/4 jack from the sound desk it'll sort itself out ?
Is that what you're saying ?

Thanks.
Paul.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:57 AM   #7
Trustee

Don't forget about the TRIM controls (in the Audio Menu). These make a big difference.

I would suggests first connecting the receiver to the camera and selecting LINE.
Then set the level control on the side of the camera to 5 (mid-range)
Then go into the AUDIO MENU and select TRIM and adjust the TRIM level to see if you can get an acceptable level. If not, switch to MIC and try setting the TRIM again.

The goal is to have your level (on the side of the camera) set to approximately 5, and then be able to get a decent level using a combination of the MIC/LINE switch the TRIM adjustment.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 10:33 AM   #8
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Kellett View Post
So if i fed the transmitter with an xlr or 3/4 jack from the sound desk it'll sort itself out ?
Is that what you're saying ?
You will need to adjust the transmitter sensitivity (which can be set to 0, -10, -20 or -30) to give a decent deflection but without the 'peak' light coming on. However, to have a fighting chance of doing that, a line level signal needs to go to the ring terminal either with the Sennheiser CL2 cable or one you knock up yourself.
Nick Wilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:08 PM   #9
Major Player

Quick qustion - but witout qiuck answer.
You have to find the distortion level on both your transmitter and receiver and that is not easy when you cannot see how much the transmitter is modulated.
If you normally use mic in settings on your camera - you always should use it - whatever you put into the transmitter.
On your audio transmitting system you have noise and your desired audio. The level of audio should be as high as possible (without distortion) to give the best audio/noise difference. If you do not put enough audio into your transmitter you get too much noise - and if you put too much it will be distorted. First give the transmitter lot of level so it is distorted - now you can level your camera audio in to maybe -10 db. I guess 4-5 lights off in the viewfinder. That will be your audio in level - always. Audio level should now be set at your transmitter to match your sound levels without distortion but not to low - then you will get noise.
Bo Skelmose is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony XDCAM EX Pro Handhelds